A 64 bit Ftp client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waloshin, Feb 5, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. thankins macrumors 6502

3. simsaladimbamba

4. thankins macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought. And I agree no reason for a FTP app to be 64 bit. Much like saying you need MS Word to be 64 bit for your high school term paper to work

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While Panic's transmit is, what benefit are you looking for in an FTP client that requires 64bit?

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

GUIs are for weenies!

Code:
    file /usr/bin/ftp
    /usr/bin/ftp: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
    /usr/bin/ftp (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
    /usr/bin/ftp (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it doesn't.

It's waloshin. He's just repeating buzzwords as usual.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wanted convey that 64bit does not equate to better. There is nothing inherent in an ftp client that makes 64bit better AFAIK and instead of having a knee jerk reaction of needing 64bit.

I wanted to ask why to which the OP could then respond with a cogent argument for the reasons why he needed a 64bit ftp app.

10. simsaladimbamba

The problem with many of waloshin's threads though, he never returns to them. I guess to keep the post post / post thread ratio low.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm noticing that seems to be the case. To bad, having a dialog is difficult when the other party asks a question and does not return.

12. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Maybe it is a good reason to ban the person.

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Ack!! No!! :eek: His threads are always head scratchers (OK, usually - this one is not up to his usual calibre) and are fun to read. I look forward to a good Waloshin.

14. simsaladimbamba

That is not a good reason, otherwise there would be lots and lots of bans.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You've been around long enough to know that waloshin never makes cogent arguments for (or usually against) whatever stance or question he asks.

16. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

And what is the downside to that? a forum is designed to conduct conversations between multiple members - someone makes a post then people reply then the original person makes a reply where at the very least they give an update on whether it works and maybe a small thank you. In other words it has all the expected decorum one would conduct when conversing in real life because quite frankly what the original poster did was run into the crowd, scream to the top of his lungs something then run out of the crowd with all around dumbfounded as to what just happened.

Meh, people like Waloshin are the reason why the quality of Macrumors is nose diving. I make an observation about someones stupidity and I get a warning, an idiot like Waloshin derails a whole forum and not a thing happens with the only reply by moderators being, "well, you have to report it" as if stupidity like Waloshin couldn't be seen from out of space.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

I always figured in real life there are a variety of people, who contribute in their own unique ways. I also hardly think that Waloshin screamed anything..... he asked a question, and then moved on. The discussion has carried on, on it's own momentum. In this case (64 bit FTP client) I actually learned something. Which is rare for Waloshin.
    With respect, I disagree. What is bringing down the quality of the MR forums are those who will argue just for the sake of arguing, who resort to personal insults instead of staying on topic, who hijack thread. In other words those people who make having an adult conversation possible between two or more people who are exploring a topic or solving a problem. Waloshin's threads are just a humourous sidetracking. And a welcome one at that, at least for me. I don't care why he does it.... it's a free forum, and no-one who is acting within the rules should have to justify their actions. imho, of course.