All iPads A 9.7 inch iPad is now too big/heavy?!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mantan, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mantan macrumors 68000

A common theme among iPad Mini reviews, both positive and negative' is praise for the size/weight of the device. A common refrain is that it's the 'perfect' size.

Ever since the original iPad, people have posted how it's was the perfect size and anything smaller would be unusable. Smaller tablets were mocked for their size. People even went back to the Jobs comment about there not being a need for a smaller tablet. MANY people posted up until parts started leaking that a Mini 'was never going to happen.'

Now suddenly the Ipad2/3 are 'too heavy'? And this the Mini is the right size? Just seems like a HUGE shift in opinion...

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

opinions are all relative :)

don't take it as absolute.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

wait for the ipad 5

lighter thinner anodized black extra bling thinner bezel

4. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I thought the 9.7" was perfect, until July when I used a Nexus 7. :p
    Size is so subjective though.

5. hyteckit Guest

I always felt my 9.7" iPad 1 was too big and heavy.

That's why I bought 2 different android 7" tablets. I like 7". ;)

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree, it's pretty ridiculous. The full size iPad is hardly bulky!!

7. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I never bought one because of that. Not so much that it's too big, but too heavy and bulky for my taste. I did buy a 10-inch tablet, and it was not too big. It was also thinner than the iPad. And it was also crap lol (no, it wasn't a Nexus).

I think the mini is the "perfect size" for some of us. And also that everything is perfect as long as you haven't tried something better. People realize now that 10" is good for some things, 7 or 8" is better for other things. They started to realize that with the first smaller tablets.

Now, the mini is not 7", and it's also 4/3. That's new, in the smaller tablets world.

8. shadowjeff macrumors regular

I still find the iPad's 9.7 size perfect for watching movies and web browsing. But after using the iPad 2, the newer iPads are just way too heavy for extended use. Fingers crossed for the iPad 5 to be slimmer and lighter

9. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I never thought macbooks and laptops were too heavy until the air.

10. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I've always felt the 9.7in iPad was too heavy as well. Can't wait for the 5th gen!

12. seajewel macrumors 6502

I agree. it's heavy for reading in bed, not a one-handed device, etc. but it's a good screen size for working on. If the full-sized iPad gets quite a bit lighter I would definitely think about getting one again. For now it's the mini!

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

People here praise Apple no matter what. If Apple doesn't do something,then it, the concept sucks, until Apple does it....at which point it is the best thing ever

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I thought the 9.7 was too big and heavy, long before the mini was announced. When using it to read, I always end up putting it down due to discomfort, rather than being at a point where I really wanted to take a break.