A Bad Idea...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by indierthanthou, Jan 29, 2008.

1. indierthanthou macrumors member

This fan thing is driving me nuts. It runs constantly, no matter whether I'm running photoshop or textedit. It goes on as soon as I turn the laptop on (12" pb 1.33) and doesn't shut off until I turn the computer off or put it to sleep. Resetting the pram doesnt work, nor does g4fancontrol or anything else I've tried.

I am considering snipping the wire to the fan, and putting a small switch in place, routing it so I can get at it somehow (probably a small hole next to the power switch, or on the palm rest, it will be a tiny switch) and turning the fan on when it is hot. I know this is a bad idea, but how bad of a result could I have?

2. growinglogic macrumors regular

3. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

My biggest worry is just completely destroying the computer...but then I could justify picking up an mbp....so maybe it wouldnt be TOO bad, though I would hate to see a (mostly) perfectly good computer go to waste. This fan noise is driving me up a wall, though! I can't even carry on a phone conversation while using it because its so loud

4. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

try listening to music (with headphones) while doing your work to drown out the sound of the fans.

5. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

A good idea, but the whole point of it is, it isn't supposed to run constantly. I don't like when things don't work properly.

6. growinglogic macrumors regular

I was being sarcastic above. Do not open the machine and cut wires. The fans are there for a reason.

7. harrymohan macrumors member

The same thing was happening with my Sony Vaio bought an Hp, Macbook and G4 PB and now I am happy try following the same thing in little smaller scale ;):D:p

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I thought there were Terminal commands for Fan Speed. Investigate before modifying hardware that Apple put in place conscientiously.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You'd be better off selling the computer before wrecking it.

10. odagled macrumors member

Pour water on it. Maybe it'll cool it down and wont resort to using the fans :p

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

It sounds like the thermometers aren't attached.

When the computer can't detect thermometers, it goes into better-safe-than-sorry mode and kicks the fans into top gear. Thus, snapping the wire would do nothing.

Have you opened it up before? You might not have reconnected the thermometer cables correctly :)

12. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

I have opened it up before, but it has been doing this since i bought it from a friend. istat pro shows temps for everything.

13. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I would suggest that you should try to investigate the source of the problem, rather than just treat the symptom.

Try to see why the fan is running that fast- any particular applications running? Are the vents packed with dirt? Are the fan blades clean? How is the ambient temperature?

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some of things to try out:

Open Activity Monitor, List All Processes, Sort by % CPU
    See if anything is taking major amount of CPU cycles.

Check startup items for anything you didn't install (google it before you get rid of it).

Make new user account and see if it happens there.

Back up and reinstall OS. (I think someone installed something they shouldn't have)

15. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

If you know what you're doing with wires and switches, then your task shouldn't be too challenging. But before doing that, you have to remember that setting the switch to "Off" could easily overheat your computer very fast because the fans are no longer spinning at all. And if the fans are constantly running, there might be a reason, so turning off all the fans could seriously damage your computer or even cause a fire.