A bad time to purchase an ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielveeee, May 28, 2010.

1. danielveeee macrumors regular

I've been waiting to purchase an apple cinema display and I'm ready to buy it.
    I've heard rumors of a 27" at wwdc but personally I like the 24" better anyway.
    Besides a 27" coming out, what updates could they make to the 24"
    Or should I just go ahead and buy it now

Thank you

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think they can really do much with the 24" other than provide an anti-glare option but I doubt they'd do that. Steve0 is too narcissistic to go matte, he quite likes looking at himself while he computes.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Offering an option without Magsafe and short cables would be a start. The 24" is pretty much worthless for a Desktop without extensions.

4. danielveeee thread starter macrumors regular

Obviusly an update is imminent, my question was just to ask what they could possibly do with it.
    I wish they would do a matte screen. What about a completely new design

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

1. Larger size
    2. Matte option
    3. Less notebook oriented, or the option to choose your breakout cables when you buy (all this would take it popping in a different cable breakout during manufacturing).
    4. I doubt there will be a new design, although a matte option may have a slightly different appearance, ala matte MBP.

6. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I understand that you're looking to get an ACD, but I would have to recommend from personal experience that displays from other manufacturers are a better bet.

You can get much more bang for your buck with a 24 inch display from Dell for example.

7. budugu macrumors 6502

Yes i second that ... what is a good time to buy an apple LCD never! Especially when you can get 300$ IPS monitors from DELL with all the ports known to mankind (+ better warranty+ better exchange policy). Unless you are will to pay 100% premium for it to match the color scheme there is not reason to get an ACD. That is universally accepted even by the most hardcore fans!

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You could always get the current 30" ACD. It's matte. :)

Personally, I think that it's best to purchase when you need something rather than want. Needing something more clearly defines why you are purchasing it. That way you don't get buyers remorse -- especially when a new model is introduced a month later.

9. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Be warned. I had 2 30' 3008 Displays from Dell. One had dead pixels within 6 months, the replacement was a refurbished one that broke after just 5 hours and was not usable (half of the screen showed just noise). Both had a color tint over the panel. The loaner 20' ACD is a charm compared to the Dell. Waiting/hoping for a 27' ACD now.