A Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MBAForever, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MBAForever macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MBA and loving every moment with it. A question on the battery though. Why does it seems that despite a full charge, the MBA could only last me for about 2 hours before it reached 10% battery life? Also, do I need to use it to less than 10% before charging it? What are some of the good practices to prolong battery life? Are there some considerations when charging battery, such as waiting for it to charge fully before using it? Million thanks and best wishes to all people here :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The best way to use your battery is to use it how you want. Prolonging battery life is an exercise in futility. Batteries can be replaced, time cannot.

Since battery life is dependent on usage, it is also meaningless to cite the "Time Remaining" indicator as a symptom of a problem.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

As to only getting two hours - what are you doing, lots of video or Flash? Those will go through a battery pretty quickly.

4. treestar macrumors 6502

It is depleting in about 2 hours because you are straining the hardware. This is probably from Flash running in your browser. Close the tabs and applications you don't need open or ignore it.

You should let the battery go from 100% to 0% once a month. Other than that, don't leave it plugged in absolutely all the time. You can let it discharge and recharge as much as you want however incrementally you want. You don't need to wait until it charges to 100% and you don't have to let it reach any minimum all the time either. There isn't anything you have to worry about if you use your computer and don't think about it.

FYI, the battery in the 11" MBA is small. Don't expect any miracles.

5. MBAForever thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all replies.
    Basically I'm playing youtubes videos and coding using Dreamweaver.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I really like this line for some reason. :)