A battle of strength and honor

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

For the past 2 hours, I have had my will tested in ways unbearable to the common man. I have been trying to put a screen protector on my iPhone 5 without getting dust or bubbles or anything. Finally, it is done. I have fought with dust, lint, bubbles, moisture, oils, etc. I pulled out all the stops, steam, spray, compressed air, tape, the works. The clouds have parted and the sun is shining. It is done, and it looks great.

If you are trying to accomplish such a herculean feat of strength, keep trying. If you get dust on the screen protector, take it off and run it under the sink. There is hope.

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

It's one of things that once mastered is pretty easy. I bought a load of cheap ones to practice with a few years back.

Steamy bath room is the key.

3. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I used to the hinge method to put my SPG protector on and it worked really well. I wish I would have know about it for the last couple of years considering all the screen protectors I have put on. It's the best method I have found.

4. buddybd macrumors 6502

I've seen this steam bathroom method mentioned a lot. What exactly is it? Have steam build up and then what? and what difference does it make?

5. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

The steam brings down all the dust in the room and makes it easier.

6. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Also use the taco method to install it once the screen is clean. I also advise using scotch tape once you've wiped it clean to get off small dust particles. I did two perfect installs over the past couple weeks using these methods.

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Alas, I feel your pain. Just once, a long time ago, I got a perfect placement on my iPhone 3. I was never again able to achieve this accomplishment, although I tried very hard with my iPhone 4. Then I just gave up and went without protection. No scratches on my 4, my 5, or my iPads.

8. golfgrouch macrumors member

Has anyone tried installing with a vacuum cleaner running nearby? I'm wondering if that will maintain a dust free environment around the installation area.

9. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I think that would potentially make the situation worse by disturbing the air and dust nearby.

10. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Use the steamy bathroom method and use scotch tape to remove pesky dust pre install.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I tried to install a screen protector once, on my 3GS, and damn near pitched the thing across the room in frustration because of dust and bubbles and lint. Never tried it again. You all have commendable patience.

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I love your title. And I have to agree that installing the screen protector perfectly is a feat. It will surely test your perseverance and patience. I use the steamy bathroom technique as well. I usually run the shower for 5 minutes and then wait for another 10 minutes or before attempting the feat. I am getting pretty good at installing the protectors on the phones. I'm the "go to" person in my family. What leaves me weak at the knees though is the iPad installation. Just way too real estate for a piece of dust to settle in.