Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
This is just a concept, but I like the simplicity of it. It is just a watch, with basic notifications on the face. This would be easy to read in direct daylight, battery would last forever and cost would be minimal. I hope Microsoft puts this out to the masses. Sometimes simplicity is the best solution to a consumer product.

screen_shot_2014-01-11_at_2.15.19_pm.jpg

screen_shot_2014-01-11_at_2.17.34_pm.jpg

screen_shot_2014-01-11_at_2.17.43_pm.jpg

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Very nice. Is that a concept from Nokia, or just something someone made up?

It is from a phone designer (unnamed) that created the concept for Windows Phone. Since Nokia IS Windows Phone, I'm guessing he put their name on it.

But this is def something I could see wearing. No fancy bells and whistles, just the basics.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That certainly is clean, thin and simple. I'd like to see more about this. Waterproof is key to me for any smartwatch.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I like it. This summer and fall, it will be interesting to see the many variations of smartwatches. Keep them coming...

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I could see it being insanely popular
especially if it was inexpensive

Now that I look at this, the more this looks like an Apple developed product. Simple and elegant. No extraneous crap.
Although, I am pretty sure the Nike Fuelband IS the design of the iWatch.

But yeah, this would be a very popular design, especially if it tick-marked the columns of 'cheap', 'waterproof', 'elegant design', 'functional' and had a really long battery life (and of course had great daylight readability).

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
More info with poss October launch
Tom's Hardware is reporting that a 'Microsoft Smartband' will come this October with 11 sensors, open APIs and cross-platform compatibility. They also state that the display will be on the underside of the band.

An October release date isn't too far-fetched at all, and it's something we've heard ourselves. We also know that the smartwatch (or smartband) will come with a variety of sensors. Because to release one without would be utterly insane.

The folks at Tom's Hardware are also reporting that the cross-platform compatibility means you'll be able to buy this device and use it with Windows Phone, iOS or Android. Which would actually be a really good move for Microsoft and one that would help differentiate against competitors. Consumers would be more likely to be a smartwatch if it didn't lock them into one ecosystem.

Attachments

• Microsoft_Smartwatch_patent.jpg
    Microsoft_Smartwatch_patent.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 203
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.