A beter place than CL or EB to sell stuff?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 16, 2011.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest I have had a 50% success in selling some stuff on the CL... stayed away so far from eBay... way too many scammers that want to do PayPal and such - or shipping. I am wondering if my time the CL is worth it...

I have tried to price it well against the the eBay offerings. Bottom feeders are getting my goat. :( I had a poster that wanted my near mint D90 and 16-85VR for just $400. <eek> Or the guy that wanted my Nikkor 20mm AFD for $200! I am not trying to make my rent. Just getting rid of stuff I don't use.

Just making me wonder about selling some of my camera stuff. :( Have some stuff that is high end and collector in nature....

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I've heard the section at FredMiranda is good for that, but have no experience myself not living in the US.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Honestly, I think if you're looking for maximum profit from your items, ebay is the best place. Stuff on there is so overpriced, yet somehow it still sells. Beyond that, finding a more targeted audience for buying like forums might be a more efficient choice, especially if you have rare or highly sought-after items.

Just keep in mind that forum-based buy/sell sections are a lot about community. You can't just join up as a new poster and expect to be wheeling and dealing like a regular. Because certain forums have become popular and well-known for their trading sections, many fora have restrictions on who can access the trading portions of their boards to help keep the "riffraff" out. The Macrumors B&S forum, for example, requires a 6 month probation period on accounts before being allowed to view the B&S forum. Fredmiranda requires you to pay a membership fee in order to sell on the B&S boards (although buying can be done by any registered member). Same goes for Nikonians, where you have to be a paying member to access the trade area. I also know that some people who use those B&S boards put stock in one's posting history, so randomly signing up a new account and then proceeding straight to the B&S section to post your wares might not necessarily get the sales you're looking for.

Ruahrc

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You could give the MR Marketplace forum a try. You qualify for it and the clientele is a bit safer than CL.

Dale

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Fred Miranda Buy/Sell boards.

Bought a couple lenses through there and sold a lens as well. Everything went smooth. Great crowd.

6. rebby macrumors 6502

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I agree. After 11 years of mostly selling and some buying I've never had a fraud related problem that didn't ultimately get ironed out with no real damage to me except some wasted time.

8. gameface macrumors 6502

You have to pay to list anything on FredMiranda buy/sell. Photography on the Net is a good place but is more Canon oriented. Seriously, CL is a joke as you get nothing but extreme lowballs. For selling, I strictly use eBay or word of mouth but for buying I scour and wait for a good price to come up.

And be warned, it is a sellers market right now. With all the stuff going on in Japan the prices have skyrocketed. I got a 7D a few months ago for $1300 off FM with a few hundred clicks and now they are easily going for $1600 used.