A better lighting cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sero323, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sero323 macrumors regular

Alright so this just came to me and i have not seen it anywhere else in the forum but here it goes. What if the lightning connector (charging cable for iPhone/iPad etc.) had the LED indicator like the MagSafe power adapter for the MacBooks. i think it will look gorgeous and be very helpful. What do you guys think? I wish i could do some mock-ups but haven't really had the chance.

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd say unnecessary. If you're iPhone tells you it's charging, why do you need a light? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but in what way would it be helpful?

3. sero323 thread starter macrumors regular

Well your macbook tells you too but its there. I think it would be alot helpful when you dont want to press the home button or wake/sleep button. I mean i know its miner but it would be a nice touch i would say for iphone 6.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Would you be willing to pay more for the LED cable? Unless you and lot of other people are willing to answer yes to that question, it's not going to happen.

5. sero323 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the introductory price of the 30 pin charger and the lightning cable did not change. I dont think an LED light indicator will cost you more.

6. iPodJedi, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I agree with the thread starter, I don't think it would be more expensive and I think it would be nice just so u can take a quick look(possibly from across the room) and know if it is done or not instead of having to walk over and look every time.

Attached Files:

7. Bear macrumors G3

This might not be able to be done with just a change to the cable. The iOS devices might need a change in them for an LED indicator in the cable to work.

8. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

While we are all throwing out our awesome ideas and telling the world about them...

I think when u buy an iPod or iPhone that the EarPods should have the normal white cord but the remote and earpieces should be the color of the device u bought...How cool would that be?
    Then when u are wearing them and your phone is in your pocket (or if u have a case on it) everyone will know u have a blue iPhone 5c or a gold iPhone 5s or a Product Red iPod nano- but apple would continue to only sell all white EarPods in stores and those colored EarPods would be exclusive to that device.

----------

Probably just a software change not physical change.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

Its a neat idea BUT... . People associate all white earburds with Apple since the iPod, its a trademark that, i believe, is valuable to them and they dont want to give that away.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

yeah and it should come with a bluetooth watch you could wear that vibrates and tells you its done so you don't even have to stress your neck and eyes to turn and look! lazy.

11. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I'm sure that if it was possible, Apple would have done it. There may not be enough going through the cable to be able to tell. But aren't Lightning cables dual purpose? You can charge with them, but you can also use them for communication only. Having a light would be unnecessary in the later use.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Maybe. Maybe not.

Or why some of us use anything but white earbuds in large cities when walking around. Who wants to be targeted for a theft because you have an Apple device. Besides the Koss earbuds I have sound very good.

13. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Does the LED on the MacBook Mag Safe change color or go off?

Mine is always on when plugged in...it might hang color but being colorblind I cannot tell.

14. cxc273 macrumors regular

I like the idea, though it would almost certainly make the Lightning cables even more expensive than they already are.

The one thing I do miss about iOS 6 is how the battery icon on the iPhone or iPad's screen changed from a battery with a lightning charge symbol in the middle to an electric plug symbol to let users know the phone was fully charged. The only way to know in iOS 7 is to enable battery power percentage.

On a different note, I would love to see an updated Lightning cable that offered USB 3.0 speeds for data transfer. The current one is really slow, especially when you're transferring music, apps, movies, etc. to one of those high-capacity iPads and iPhones.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't think it is necessary, and I do think it'd add extra cost to the cable.

Basically, I could do without it.

16. kustardking macrumors regular

Do you actually watch for 100% and then unplug your phone? That seems like a waste of time. I plug it in when idle, and then just unplug it when I go. It's always in top-off mode, often resulting in 100%. If it's really low, I leave it longer, but when I have to take it, it's going to come along regardless of the %. Adding a light seems it would encourage watching-the-grass-grow behavior, which would turn into an annoyance of a ritual.

17. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Actually i don't think it would be hard to put a battery percent indicator light on the lightning cable because if u think about it when u plug your iphone in the computer the computer can tell u if it is charged-and that info is going through the lightning connector so why couldn't it show it itself on the cord?

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the bigger problem is finding space to fit an LED into that little plug.

19. iPodJedi, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That would be easy- it would just be a little tiny light the size if the tip of a paper clip

----------

Here is my mock up (made it in like 5 seconds so it is kinda sucky)
    Is that like what u were thinking? If not tell me and I'll change it to how u imagined it.

Attached Files:

20. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There needs to be two LEDs each to be a minimal size and there is circuitry needed to power the LED, control the colors based on charge status.

22. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

We are in the year 2014 it is super easy. Who would have thought u could make an entire computer fit in an A7 chip... Anything is possible and this is a very easy thing to make
    Look at the quote below with the link and look at it-

----------

That's actually pretty cool-better than my mock up

23. Bear macrumors G3

The computer is receiving the charging information via USB and not as a discreet signal. There would be no easy way to capture that information as is in a cable. The iOS device would need to know there's an LED in the cable and be able to send a signal to it.

24. sero323 thread starter macrumors regular

The light is on only when plugged in. It is orange when its charging and green when its done charging.

----------

Thats pretty much it. Just a smaller LED would be better lol

----------

That looks gorgeous.

----------

If im not mistaking iOS will need to be updated and i dont see why it shouldnt work. The currect lightning connector would simply need a light to display green/orange based on full/charging status. Another post on this thread shows a lightning connector made by a 3rd party that shows the light. I dont think an iphone would need to have a different hardware to support it.

25. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The only problem is that It might not work with a case on. It even says that in the product description that the case might need to be removed.