A better name for the MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by myeggsareboiled, Jan 17, 2008.

1. myeggsareboiled macrumors newbie

I have to say, that while the MBA is an Uber foxy laptop, the name really does suck. Does anyone have any better names for it? The MacBook Wedge? MacBook Thin. I am sure someone will come up with something more appropriate.....
    :)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When the MacBook name was announced, everyone thought that was really crap and complained on here. Within a few months people got used to the name and the moaning stopped.

It will be the same with the MacBook Air.

3. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black ;).

6. myeggsareboiled thread starter macrumors newbie

How about an eggBook????
    :)

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not a new name, but on the Apple site on the MacBook Air Features page…
    Wonder if they misspelt expensive? :D

Attached Files:

• Air.jpg
      Air.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not catchy enough. How about Macbook Ovum? Runs warm enough to fry your eggs. ouch.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like the MacBook Air name. Simple. Describes the concept well.

10. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I agree. Seperates it from the other laptops (i.e. it's not a 13" MBP) and describes its lightness and wireless intentions. Can't think of a better name myself.

Plus, reaction to this name is nothing like the wailing that went on over "MacBook Pro". Even more amusing was people insisting that the Intel iBook replacement would still be called iBook even though the MBPs name made it rather obvious....

11. myeggsareboiled thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I do like. MacBook Light has a certain ring to it.
    I understand where your coming from saying Air sums up the concept of the machine. I just don't think its very cool. And if you say you don't buy a computer because its cool, I call you a liar! 99% of mac users have a bit of vanity going on, and that is not an insult, cos I am one myself. Nothing wrong with having nice things.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd say 99% of Mac users have vanity/coolness as 99% of their purchase decisions :p

Air's not that bad a name, and Light is perhaps a bit prosaic. Flybook is already taken of course...

13. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Actually MacBook Lite is what I like.

14. pr5owner macrumors 65816

what the kind of "Expandability" does the MBA have?

im not sure what they are trying to get at.... 2 choices for HDD's when even the MB and MBP have litterally hundreds of choices is not that "expandable" to me.

most Asus laptops have an optical "Bay" meaning you can have either a CD burner, DVD burner, 2nd Battery, travelers drawer (for drugs smuggling?) floppy drive, expansion card slot, etc, etc. thats expandability to me. not sure what apple's talking about

im with you, with the Mac Book Lite, but 3 lbs isnt that light when notebooks are coming in at 2.2 - 1.8lbs (asus eee pc with 3 usb ports, SDHC Card reader, video out and both a headphone and mic jack!)

15. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I think the name is a bit wordy, and to be honest, it is radically different enough from the MacBook and MBP lines that I would have dropped the name entirely.

If I were head of Apple marketing, I would have named it the "Apple Leaf."

Edit: That, or Mac Leaf.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

And a whopping 4GB solid-state HD! W:eek:W!!!

17. pr5owner macrumors 65816

a whopping $399 instead of $1800 and small enough to fit in your glove box.

again, it has SDHC, a PCIe internal slot, accesible RAM slot

SDHC = 32GB, dual USB internal PCIe card can host dual 32GB USB flash thats 100GB of flash and its STILL CHEAPER than the MBA by quite a bit. you can upgrade your ram to 2GB 667MHz muskin/ocz/super talent/patriot ram for $40-$45

18. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

They don't need to invent new adjectives. They have mini and nano, they should've used those. MacBook nano.... mmmmm

19. Cloudane macrumors 65832

Cloudane

LMAO :D

I couldn't think of a better name for it to be honest. Mini and Nano are overdone. Lite emphasises the fact it's underpowered. Thin/Slim sound even stupider. Razor would be copying Motorola too much.

Personally I think someone was sat in the board room saying "What should be call it? The MacBook errrr.........." and someone said "brilliant!" and concluded the meeting.

Maybe it should've been the "Macbook Ummm"

20. rasmusschaal macrumors member

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Apple should go back to using letters after model names:

MacBook SLE (Special "Lite" Edition).

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The problem is that with software, and other things, Lite or Light implies a watered down version and while that is the case with ports, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, etc., I can see Apple wanting to avoid that connotation.

I don't think that would have worked. And I would prefer to stay away from the iPod line in naming. However if they had gone that route, I think NanoBook works better.

I almost like Paperbook. But again no. Let me ponder a moment...

Most notebooks are heavy, like a book can be. Paper is light, Paperbook is on the right track. MacSheet doesn't work. Neither does MacVelope. It has a multi-touch gesture trackpad.

Could call it the MacPad. Though I'm not sure that's that catchy either. Though it could be after a while. I kind of like FeatherBook, but like NanoBook I think they are trying to keep Mac in the title.

Everyone is going to call it the MBA anyway.