A better power cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jclardy, Jan 2, 2017.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So I was watching a review video of the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, which also charges via USB-C. But I noticed one thing at this point in the video.

It appears the power cable has an LED in it. One thing that I miss from MagSafe was this simple amber/green LED to know two things - your laptop is actually charging and that your laptop is fully charged, all without even opening the lid.

Now seeing the video I'm wondering if this is possible? does the laptop tell the cable that it is fully charged and to change to a trickle mode? I'm sure the charging rate is negotiated at some point, but could someone build a cable with charge status LED's built in? I'm thinking you can, and annoyed that apple didn't do it.

2. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

https://www.moshi.com/usb-c-charge-cable

Up to 60W so it should charge the MBP pretty fast still, and has the MBP in it's "compatibility".
    + As somebody who is slightly red/green colorblind i'm happy it won't feel like i'm losing a feature when I eventually upgrade :p On the Mac it's fine because I can open the lid and check the charge, but on chargers that only have a red/green indicator it's pretty much a guess :rolleyes:

3. jclardy thread starter macrumors 68040

jclardy

Sweet, that is just what I was looking for. Now if only that could also be a USB3 speed transfer cable as well so I can use it with my USB-C monitor.

As for losing a feature, you are still losing the actual MagSafe connector...but if you use a USB-C dock or monitor you won't miss it for the added convenience of plugging everything in via one cable.

4. Turpentine222 macrumors newbie

In the same vein: Is there an alternative to the Apple 61w charger? I still can't understand why they dropped the flippable little legs and small cable clip. I noticed that this morning when I decided to take my charger with me and came to the conclusion I had to awkwardly wrap the cable around the whole charger, with nothing to hold it in place.

So much for innovation.

5. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

Something like this may solve that issue for you, but I don't know if 2016 MBP compatible ones are out yet.

6. acorntoy, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

True the magsafe has saved me once or twice (in over a year but still) I really preferred magsafe 1 to magsafe 2 though, seemed like magsafe 1 was strong enough that it wouldn't accidentally become unplugged but would unplug in an emergency, magsafe 2 seems extremely weak. I'm planning on keeping my 15' 2015 for at least another couple of years so hopefully by then the third party solutions should be advanced and plentiful.

7. otakustay macrumors newbie

otakustay

Is there any power cable can deliver 85W power with a led on it?

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I used google to find the other one so there might be but I'm not sure.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

11. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I mean with a 60W max I believe it would still charge the MBP under a full load, just obviously more slowly than the 80W would, however in my opinion just having it -charge- at load is the most important. Heck on a 45W MacBook Air charger my 15' 2015 would charge while browsing safari, just wouldn't while doing heavier tasks, wasn't able to actually get the battery percentage to drop while on it.

12. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

I have the Moshi and find it lacking. Basically, it only detects whether power is flowing over the cable or not. Thus it only turns green when it's connected but no power is used. But the original MagSafe also turns green when you use the laptop but the battery is fully charged. They call it the Smart LED but it's actually a very simple thing.

The whole point of the LED is: turn green when battery is fully charged. The Moshi only does that when the laptop is sleeping/shut down.

13. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Then the cable does its job no? Not to be -that- guy but the point was to be able to quickly look while the computer is closed to see if it was charged, this will do that right? When the computer is open it's not very hard to look in the top right. Interesting point about the cable though, I figured that it would do something like that to make the light work but didn't realize it would cut if it was actually powering the thing.

14. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Ah yes, in that case it does serve its purpose!