A better way to annotate PDFs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Giuly, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Hi,
    as most of you may know, lots of papers come as PDFs these days.

Now we have Preview on our Macs, and it does a great job for text-immanent annotation, however you can't export your annotations to further elaborate on your markings and notes.

One way to solve this is to open the PDF using Skim, then convert the annotations to its native format and finally export them as (rich) text. It works fine, yet it's not a particularly great experience.

A candidate for such an application is Evernote, however it doesn't do PDF annotation, nor can it import the ones you've made in Preview, except for just displaying the PDF with your annotations in it.

There are Goodreader, iAnnotate and PDF Expert on the iPad, though only PDF Expert has a Mac version and does mostly the same stuff Skim does, and that one feels like straight out of 10.4 already.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a great App to annotate PDFs which I might've overlooked?

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Are you looking for hand drawn looking annotations or just text boxes?

3. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

I'm looking for something that has a great way of organizing PDFs and managing their text notes and markings, preferably in a way that lets you do the complete workflow in the App (like Evernote does for everything that's not a PDF), rather than exporting the notes to text and opening them in TextMate or Pages, as that's a horrible way even if you use the Merge tool from Xcode to sync your notes.

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Can't remember properly but does iBooks let you annotate? If so its a pretty stable App which is basically preview for iOS

5. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

Yes, it does, but as I said in the first post, I'm looking for Mac software that's better than Preview.

6. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Oh sorry! My mistake... I use Acrobat Pro however this may not be your personal favourite...

I always associate 'App' with iOS.......