A big challenge...Reflect this...

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by agentphish, Jan 29, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Try as I might I have been unable to successfully create an "apple like" reflection of this product for a catalog I'm working on.

There's too many circular shapes at 3/4 view to get it to look right.

If anyone can do it, and explain just how they got it to look right, I'd be eternally grateful...

I've always found 3/4 view products the hardest to reflect but I can usually get them done.

[​IMG]

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My best effort involved rotating the original. Not sure if that's a viable option or not.

Attached Files:

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Good effort, however, they don't quite line up, and it's quite tough to get the perspective correct when they do. It starts to look crappy...

That said, it is a good effort and I will ask the client about rotating the original...I didn't think to do that because they had said they'd like to use them as they where.

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

My best image (didn't bother uploading) was flip horizontally, then rotate and play with perspective/skew to get looking right. But that image is a pita to get right in photoshop, I would just probably do a quick 3ds max render because it would be so much easier.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Well they line up now, but I take your point about the perspective ;)

Attached Files:

6. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

leviG-

If I knew 3dSmax I'd do it for sure! I've seen people play w/ it and it seems awesome.

Oh well... I guess what I'll do is rotate it and show them and see what they say.
    Thanks guys.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The problem is that the "copy and flip" method of simulating reflections only works with a straight-on orthographic view of the object.

This is a 3/4 top-down perspective view.
    ie: A visually correct reflection should show the bottom of the object at the intersection between the objects; this information is not contained within the image of the original object, and the simulated reflection will never look quite right.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Paint out that asymmetrical groove at the top, preferably doing a better job than I've done of it here (hey, I'm not being paid :)), and it actually lines up quite well with no flipping, very little rotation/perspective of the copy and no transformation to the original.

[​IMG]

9. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Nice solution Gelfin.

Also, add a shadow to the intersection area, and to the bottom contour of the object in the reflection.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Thanks. Too bad there's no general technique to offer except insofar as "cheat like a three-card-monte dealer whenever possible" is a technique. I remembered the intersection shadow after I had exported, but I couldn't be bothered to go back and fix it. Again with the not being paid. ;)

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Strata has a suite of 3D plugins for PhotoshopCS3 Extended that would simplify this process. (among other things)
    For example, you take a series of pictures of a complex object using the supplied template for camera positioning, then generate a detailed, fully textured model from these photographs.

The advantage of doing this is that the object, lighting and camera can be manipulated and positioned in Photoshop as a 3D object layer.

Here's a link to few tutorials for the modeling and rendering plugins:
    http://www.3dlayer.com/tutorials/wood_bowl/
    http://www.3dlayer.com/tutorials/drinksquad/