A bigger issue than a Ho Hum upgrade...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by al1cre, Sep 9, 2009.

1. al1cre macrumors member

The term "mediocrity" applies to this year's upgrade to the Touch. My issue is that the same term could be said of last year's upgrade too.

Adding memory and a new chip or two is the best they could come up with after a year? Even if there were production problems and Apple had included a camera and mic, there's nothing particularly groundbreaking or about it. Ever since Apple came out with the Touch and the iPhone they've seemed to be just coasting creatively. Even if they stretch it up to tablet form... so what? Yeah, they'll make money at the obvious apps and maybe one or two new ones...then what? More of the same?

I hope Apple finds their innovation again.

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I did not buy an iPod touch last year because it was a terrible upgrade. The same can be said of this year, only of course more so. I may have to wait another year.

3. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

^agreed I still have my 1g I was hoping for something big with the 2G and 3G that would make me want to upgrade. But nope.:(

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm still half-tempted to buy a 3G and then sell it in time for the 4G. Even if it loses $100 of its value, $100 isn't bad at all for a whole year of using it. I dunno.

5. dynamo22 macrumors member

I wish it had an OLED screen and a matte finish for a back cover.. a consumer can dream..

6. Miko macrumors member

The only thing Apple changed to the iPod Touch was a faster processor?

A much-needed external speaker added to the device (last year) is much better than an un-necessary speed boost.

7. brendu macrumors 68020

i am disapointed in apple... what the hell are they working on anymore, after over a year of work we get a minorly tweaked OS and an iPod with slightly beefed chips... granted we saw a redesign of the MacBook Pro, but thats it... this tablet better be the most amazing product we have seen in 5 years or apple has completely lost touch with itself and is becoming more like M$ than anyone ever thought they would...

its just sad...

APPLE: do not let us down with the tablet and 10.7!

8. na1577 macrumors 6502a

This update just doesn't make sense. If the iPod touch is a portable game system, why didn't they add anything else that makes sense for a game system? Like buttons?

9. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I agree... they have a great product here, I'm surprised they don't try to develop it a little more. It hasn't changed much since they released it a couple of years ago. Microsoft is probably still behind, but they made a big step towards catching up this year with the ZuneHD.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Agreed. That speaker was great.

I think (and/or hope) that Microsoft's other divisions (gaming - XBox, music - Zune) are smarter with their marketing/product development. Whereas Microsoft could completely strikeout with its OSs (see Vista, Windows ME), their smaller divisions don't have the market share or the clout. Here's to some good competition to give Apple a kick in the right direction. :p

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

OLED will not be in apple products until you can actually see them outside.

Edit: Miko, you call the speed boost unnecessary, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you? The app store is what drives sales of these things, the new touch is opengl 2.0 capable. You WILL NEED THAT TO USE MANY OF THE UPCOMING APPS FROM THE APP STORE.

I love how you guys bitch about things you don't understand, its really amusing. That being said, yes a camera definitely would have made this a huge hit.