A bit confused about Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blurb23, May 16, 2009.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I got an iPhone 3G off of CraigsList, and I'm planning on switching my family and myself over from Verizon to AT&T.

From my understanding, it's possible to get around the required $30/month data plan by purchasing a phone from AT&T ("dummy phone"), then putting that SIM card into my iPhone.

To do this, I would need to jailbreak (but not unlock) my iPhone, correct? Also, what would happen if I were to purchase a data plan for my "dummy phone"? With unlimited messaging on a family plan, data for one for is $10/month. Would this be compatible with my iPhone?

2. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

The data plan is a required feature for the iphone, your phone will not function without it. The serial number or IMEI as we call it needs to be associated with your account on at&t therefore that data pkg is automatically added in our systems. If you try and fool it with the 10 dollar internet pkg this wont work either becuase your pkg wouldnt have the right network data encoding for the iphone to decifer. Also if the IMEI is not associated with your account you wont even be able to access voice mail becuase the iphone uses the visual voice mail and not the basic voice mail. Hope this helps answer your questions.

3. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My friend (and 2 other lines on his plan) all have iPhones (though they are EDGE models), and they did the "dummy" method as described above. The phones function fine, however.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It's kind of like cheating on your taxes, you'll probably get away with it... But if you get caught, you're screwed. They do random checks of the phones, it might work, or you might get caught.

But honestly, doing that will reduce the functions on your iPhone.

5. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, the worst they can do is tack on the $30/month iPhone plan and replace the current $10/month plan.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

They could charge you for back-payments of the $30/month if they wanted to. Why don't you just unlock it and go to T-Mobile? It just seems dishonest to me, I would feel guilty doing that but I'm a pretty crappy liar and cheater.

But if you do go through with that you won't get visual voicemail, which may not be important to you, but it is to me. In case you didn't know AT&T is most likely going to drop the price by $10 next month.

7. ppool123 macrumors newbie

No they cant charge you for a service you never used. All they will do is add it to your account. I have been using my iphone without the data plan for 6 months now.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The older iPhone you could get away with this method. With the 3G iPhone ATT will just add the $30/month data plan once they see you have the 3G iPhone on your account.

Also no jailbreaking is required. Just take the SIM from the dummy phone and put it into the iPhone.

This topic has been discussed many types. Please search in the future.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you have access to a first generation iPhone, you can add the data package for that ($20) and switch the SIM into the 3G. You'll get a text and an email at the beginning of each month reminding you that the data plan isn't compatible with your phone and you need to call AT&T but it never goes further than that.

As another user mentioned previously, if it was that big of a deal they would contact me or just switch it themselves. We all know they have the capabilities.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'm trying to find the source, but I swear I read on gizmodo or the boy genius that AT&T is testing 'automatically switching' people with iPhone 3Gs but not the correct plans in certain markets.

11. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Do you and your friends shoplift when your out shopping? If not, why not? Stealing is stealing.