A bit confused with FINDER. (Music & photos)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chuckstones, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Chuckstones macrumors regular

I realise that Finder is similar in a way to explorer on a windows pc.
    But when I transfered my music and pics over from my pc. Then moved said items to itunes and iPhoto respectively. Do I have to keep the files in finder as backup. Or can I delete!!?! (Waiting on delivery of external back up drive. So music and photos will surely be backed up there)

Also I'm expecting my replacement 21" today so will have to do the transfer again. Can I just select the itunes and iPhoto folders instead of moving everything across?
    I was cleaning up finder last night. And deleted a few folders I didn't need. And noticed there are gaps left (music). Shouldn't they close up?

2. jido macrumors regular

This depends on the application. By default, iTunes and iPhoto copy the originals into their library so you can delete them afterwards.

To rearrange the icons after deleting some of them, use "Clean Up" in the "View" menu of Finder.

3. Chuckstones thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

But I thought it strange that they didn't automatically transfer to itunes and iPhoto. I had to import them manually!!

Sorry. Meant to quote your 1st answer!!

4. mlamb64150 macrumors member

iTunes on Mac stores files differently than PC. When you add music to your Windows version of iTunes it plays the file from whatever directory you have the track saved in.

On Mac, when you import your music it copies it to a central Library. After that the original copy can be deleted, providing you are comfortable finding your iTunes library on the Mac (Music/User/iTunes typically).

Same with iPhoto.

Hope that helps!

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There are configurable options in iTunes to let it organize your music... and to keep a copy in its library. I would not delete your music until it has all been imported after these two settings are set. I believe they are set by default.

/Jim

6. RhinoMac macrumors newbie

I think you'll find this helpful. There are some sections of it (navigation links on the left side) that are specifically about translating Windows habits and metaphors to OS X:
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/