A bit disappointed with Otterbox Commuter case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Leonard1818, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

So I've had an Otterbox Commuter case since December of 2011 (~7 fulll months) and it's already cracked near the camera lens opening and near the headphone jack opening. I have not dropped my phone (not once) causing these to form. I'm very careful with my phone and it has a special place in my front-right pocket where NOTHING else goes.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? I got it from a Verizon store so I know it's a legit Otterbox Case. I LOVE the case besides the fact that, if this continues, I will need to replace it before even 1 year.

I was thinking about getting an "armor" series when it comes out so that I have something to use when I'm on vacation (woods/lake) but now I'm unsure as to the quality of Otterbox products. I'm thinking about contacting customer support but I'm not sure what they can do for me since I bought it from Verizon. I can almost guarantee that Verizon isn't going to do anything since it's been 6 months and they don't know what I've done to the phone (dropped, thrown, etc.).

Thoughts? Experiences?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Simple solution, contact Otterbox and they will replace it. Their customer service is second to none.

3. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

Really?

I was wondering about that since I've read a few posts that state otherwise (there's one near the top right now). Also since I bought at Verizon and I don't know/doubt I have a receipt.

I'll shoot them an email and get the ball rolling to see where I get.

Thanks!

4. OneBigFatNinja macrumors member

As mentioned above I'd contact them anyway; won't do any harm and you never know they may offer you something. Sounds like you're being genuine so they may also see it that way.

I've had my commuter on for a few months now and had no issues whatsoever, dropped my iPhone for the first time ever yesterday, just fell out of my hand and it had a good 5ft drop to the concrete floor. Picked it up (fearing the worst) and found the commuter had done its job. Not a mark on it. Phew.

If you're like me (yesterday being the exception) ask yourself if you need a case that offers such protection day to day.

Had a defender on my 3GS for a while and found that to be too bulky (apart from when I went camping) but I haven't had one bad experience with any otterbox product.

Hope they sort it for you.

5. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the input. I actually thought about the fact that I may not really even *need* such protection. I would say 99% of the time, my phone gets the "white glove" treatment. Unfortunately, it's that pesky 1% of the time that I worry about. I'm not saying I've never dropped my phone at all (and the otterbox seemed to do it's job just fine). Just that I've taken the case off since the last drop, cleaned and inspected the phone and case VERY closely, and put it back on. There were no breaks or hints at breaks at that time.

I also want to keep the phone really nice b/c it'll be my wifes phone when the new one comes out. Then she can use w/e case she wants... I just want to be able to pass along a "like new" device to her.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

They don't ask for a receipt. They ask for the picture of the case along with a piece of paper that has your name and date on it. They may ask for a serial number that may be on the case as well. Takes less than a week for you to get a new one. I have the Commuter as well, but I prefer the Candyshell that I just ordered today.

7. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

+1

They have helped me out several times as I have 3 cases in the family. They are nothing short of fantastic!

HiddenPuppy

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I honestly prefer the Candyshell too, but that flaking issue is HORRIBLE. It makes using the Anti-glare screen protectors like hell considering the rubber gets stuck to the screen. And then there's the issues with jeans and what not. They need to switch to a TPU like material for that covering.

So until they sort that out, I prefer the Otterbox Commuter :)

9. App King macrumors member

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The flaking issue is awful, but I don't use a screen protector so that's a whole different issue. I've learned to deal with the flaking and maybe one day, just maybe, Speck will get it right.

11. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The flaking wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have the screen protector on, but I just ended up giving the case to my best friend. The flaking doesn't seem to bother her, but let me put it like this. It's flaked so much from coming in and out of her jeans, the rubber bezel is non existent now :eek:

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Ouch! I just got another in the mail yesterday that's black with a red bezel. I'm going to see if the red bezel flakes as bad as the gray does because that one seems to the be the absolute worse.

13. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I was thinking about doing a warranty exchange for it, but, laziness got the best of me lmao. Good luck with your new case!

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Their warranty exchange is PITA so I understand lol

15. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

SMS thing happened to me last month. I had my case about 6 months and it cracked just from taking it off the phone. I emailed Otterbox and they sent me a brand new case. Didn't even ask me to return the one that was broken.

16. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

In my experience, OtterBox has the best customer service. On my defender, i had an issue with the silicone. I emailed them and after just a couple emails describing the issue they sent me a new case a week later. I ended up buying a Commuter after and I love that too.
    I'm definitely a satisfied OB customer