A bit disappointed with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whohasaquestion, May 16, 2012.

1. whohasaquestion, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

I will admit that it has a great interface for backup copy. The ability to browse through history of files is pretty neat. MS will never be able to come close to it. But there are a few limitation that just irks me. For example, the other day, my brother wanted to access a file on my Time Capsule from his iPad. I said "sure, it will work." ...thinking they are both Apple products and Apple is big on integration. Well, after 10 mins of fuddling around, I finally consulted Google for an answer. Turn out, it doesn't work that way simply because Time Capsule is only meant to work with Time Machine...and that's about it.

You can drop files onto it, and you can access them on home Wi-FI network. But once I step out of it, it gets tricky to access files remotely. Nowhere on the manual shows you how to do it either. So Apple apparently doesn't want people to use Time Capsule that way.

Speaking of being a soulmate to Time Machine, it's an overstatement really. Because once you step outside of your home network, it just doesn't work. I am an accountant frequently on assignment to various cities. The inability to backup to Time Capsule on the road has me thinking this in hotel " Hmmm, maybe I should make this change to the file after I got home". Sorry, but this is not cool.

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

No where in thproduct description did Apple ever say that TC is capable of any of that. Your complaints are like be buying a hamburger and them being upset that it's not a hot dog.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Granted Apple hasn't rolled out the red carpet for remote access it "is" there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3486

if your trying from a PC though you're out of luck on doing it easy.

4. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502

It never says it can't either.

And really, from software and hardware perspectives, why can't it? Other than Apple just doesn't want to make it work?

5. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Let me help you, check out an app called file browser. It does the job for you.

http://www.stratospherix.com/support/gsw_timecapsule.php

And you need to sign in to iCloud on your time capsule, after that you can go to any place that has an internet connection and connect to it using the finder. It even shows up in the finder side bar. Great feature. :)

Hope it helped.

btw, it will even back up remotely.

6. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

plus the ipad cant access files liek that either unless its jailbroke

7. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! Thanks.

But I see this only for iPhone and iPad? Is there a similar app for Macbook Air?

8. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Why would you need an app? Just sign in with your iCloud account on the time capsule and your macbook and it will show in finder. :)