A bit of a long shot on a drowned iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rhalliwell1, May 17, 2009.

1. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

In January i managed to flood my iPhone (1st Gen, 8GB) while skiing. It was in a bag my brother was carrying which also had a bottle of water in it - stupid idea in hesnieight! Initially the phone did nothing and was absolutely soaking, so i dried it off to the best of my ability, put it in my pocket and skied on! When i got back to the flat i left it on a radiator to dry out and put it on charge over night. The following morning it turned on, could see the apple logo but you could also see a lot of water behind the screen. It then all went blank. So i left it on the radiator and tried it the following morning - nothing. Plugged it into my MacBook Pro and iTunes said it was in recovery mode so i tried restoring the firmware all went well but still said it was in recovery. I tried this a few more times over the next couple of days but with no luck so i gave up and borrowed a friends Sony Erricson POS to last me until apple release another one. Now with about a month left to wait (so 'they' think) i just cant wait any longer so i charged it up over night again and got a message saying "Please insert your sim or enter your sim pin" so i did. then got the same message again. Can't enter the sim pin as the phone's screen is blank.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I kind of know that if i got the iPhone working it would need a new battery which i could do. Anything else?

Edit: i should mention i have taken the back off and everything seemed dry inside so i think i have got all the water out.

Many Thanks

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Methinks you fried it when you charged it overnight, you should leave it in a bag of rice for at least a day.

3. Rhalliwell1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahhh damn it!! well thanks for the tip anyway :)

4. fratboy macrumors regular

yeah you deff made it worse by charging it.. sorry not to be mean but USE YOUR HEAD. you should have left it alone for at least 3-4 days not touching it at all leaving it in a dry place.. same thing happened with my first gen iphone.. got soaked.. then my phone was rebooting for about an hour. then i managed to shut it off and just leave it alone. then after the four days it worked completley fine .. and actually my grandfather is STILL using it with no problems