A bit of a theory about that keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baldrake, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Baldrake macrumors 6502

I've been surprised by the diversity of opinion about the new MBP keyboard. Personally I hate it so much, I'm bewildered by the comments of the people who love it. Of course they're just stating an opinion, as am I, but how could our opinions be so different?

So here's the theory...

I have a 15" tbMBP. My wife has a 13" ntbMPB. I'd never used her machine before, but was doing something for her the other night, and realized my fingers were just flying over the keys. It was wonderful. Back to my computer, and the keys feel tinny and comparatively unresponsive, and my fingers ache after I've been using it too long. Clearly there's something really different about our keyboards. I love hers, hate mine.

Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps there are different batches? Maybe the 15" keyboard is different from the 13?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Every single keyboard is slightly different but no they use the same keyboards in all the new MacBook pros.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There are some others who believe the new 13" and 15" keyboards are slightly different. There's a thread about here a few days ago. Most reviewers haven't noticed any difference.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Are some of your keys out?

My wife's 2015 12" had some keys go out a little while ago. They still worked but just felt less responsive.

5. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

I noticed that my keyboard characteristics changed a little bit over time

It is maybe me getting use to it. I will never go back to previous generation of MacBook though.

6. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

To continue on your theory theme......

One thing to consider is wear. Everything wears in and wears out. Your wife's keyboard may have less hours ( than your 15") and feel newer and more responsive or it may be older and more broken in and therefore more comfortable than your newer, still stiff 15". This could be the reason why each keyboard feels a bit different even though the mechanical design of each is the same.