A bit of spillage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaymebee, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jaymebee macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So i woke up this morning, went to turn on my macbook (from late 2007) and noticed as i opened it that there was some liquid on the screen and on a bit of the keyboard (who knows from where, as it was closed and i don't remember spilling anything on it the day before!!). Anyway, i dried it off and then went to turn it on...it turned on fine, all like usual, but when it got to the log in screen it just kept entering the number 7 non stop so had to turn it off. I have since taken out the battery and put it by the window (no sun) to help dry it off.

Now i'm hoping that once i have left it for 24 hours or so, it may just go back to normal...but if not, does anyone know how i can get it to stop entering 7? or is there a possibility it could get worse, rather than better?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

There is a definite possibility it could get worse. #1 rule of spills: don't turn it on until it's completely dry! It may be entering 7 because the key (or the nub under the key) is sticking. It could be doing it because there's a weird short. You won't know until you turn it on, but make sure it's totally dry before you do!

3. jaymebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well update, I left it until today and put the battery back in, turned it on....the screen with the apple came on, I was extremely hopeful and then it just went dead!

I have no idea what to do now...how much does this kind of thing cost to repair? Bloody annoying seeming as I didn't even have any liquids near it and what was on it was the tiniest amount! Ahh!!!

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Take it to Apple or an authorized repair center.

All it takes is one tiny drop in the wrong place to bring down an entire computer. I wish you the best of luck.