A bittersweet day for my first MBP experience.... HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, May 23, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

So thanks to another thread here about the frys promotion, I ended up buying a base 15 inch with a HR glossy display over the phone today cheaper than my student discount via price matching. In my previous posts, my gf ended up buying a base mid2009 13 and it was too slow for me. I saved up a few months to buy the extra power of the 15.

While telling my gf, I tipped my gf's cup of diet coke all over her MBP! :( I was soo sad as it took her over 5 months of saving for it :(

So I followed the guide for spills and waited about 30 hours before trying it on. It tries to turn on and I hear the HD go on, then about after 5 seconds i hear a click and hear the HD winds down and turns off. The battery indicator button works and shows the battery is charged. The charger works and turns green when I plug it in. Any more ideas? I am just hoping its a HD failure. If thats the case, shouldnt the mac still turn on into a bios type of thing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Ask me if you need anymore details Thanks!

I feel sooo bad! Again thanks for the help

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

It's more or less definitely not an HD failure; if it was the system would start up and give you an error sign. You're more than likely looking at a motherboard replacement at least (It's not called a logic board, screw you apple).

3. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

I was not hoping to hear that :/

Anything else I should try before taking to apple?

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Try booting from the restore/install disc. If it does boot then this will tell you whether if it's the HD or not.

5. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Sorry to say it but sweet, sticky drinks are the worst kind to spill over laptops. There is little choice in the matter but to pay for the repair, which will most likely be a logic board replacement in Apple engineer speak.

It's best viewed as a learning experience...The lesson being never let liquids within a foot (minimum) of a laptop. Sorry about what happened though.

6. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, any estimate on costs?

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Depending on what's exactly wrong with it (could be more than just the mother/logicboard); at least $700 I'd say. Wouldn't be surprised if you're just better off buying a whole new machine.

8. btrav13 macrumors 6502

The last few days has seen several drop/spill posts. Most liquid damage to electronics can't really be overcome.

9. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

how do i boot from the disk when I cant turn the MBP on and the superdrive doestn accept the cd?

10. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Look closely at the other spill posts for detailed instructions. #1 priority is to remove all voltage from the laptop, as soon as possible. This means disconnecting the battery. Absolutely under no conditions should you try to turn the laptop on after a spill, not even after many hours of drying. Disconnect the power, disassemble as much of the machine as you can, clean the spill (use alcohol where needed as it evaporates more readily), thoroughly dry, reassemble, then reconnect battery power and see if it boots. This gives you the maximum chance of getting the machine working, and you won't do any worse harm (assuming you properly disassemble/reassemble).

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

no bueno to sugary drinks! its the only weakness mbp's have! good luck on your adventure with this one.

12. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

holy cow it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and im typing from it now... hopefllyl it works for good! mre later :) thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):D:apple:

13. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Beware of sticky keys and a probably sticky touchpad.

14. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

none... very weird! cant complain!

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Congradz on getting it working:D

16. xjames macrumors regular

its actually not weird. Diet Coke isn't sticky. It has no sugar. It's easy to clean. It attracts no bugs. (My name is James, and I'm a diet coke addict)

I mean, it's bad, this kind of spill, but not nearly as bad as regular coke.

Hope it keeps working.

17. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Hey congratulations on making it work again...can you inform me on how to go about getting the cheaper back to school special with Price matching and discount on top at Frys. thanks plz PM me.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol there's an upside and a downside to diet coke:

The upside: If it was normal coke, you Gf's MBP might not have lived.
    The Downside: Diet Coke is worse for your health than normal coke.