A black MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hayduke60, May 11, 2009.

1. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Is there a chance that there will be a black uMBP in our future? There's the black Ipods that sell alongside the silver ones, so when will the black lappys be coming out?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Who knows. People have speculated about this for ages, I don't think it will ever happen.

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I don't purport to know what apple will be doing... But I will say, highly unlikely! :rolleyes:

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

well black is boring and plain...so they might do it. But never expect to get any sort of color, then all the case manufactures would lose $

5. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Since MBPs are for professional users, I doubt looks are a concern. Colored Macbooks on the other hand...................maybe?

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

lol professional, most people that have them are not

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I bet someone will completely dismantle a uMBP, and have all the aluminum parts anodized. Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

I guess voiding warranty is a concern! :D

8. stownsend3 macrumors member

Used to be almost all professional use... but with the millions of macs being sold, the average consumer is using them for their daily routine. If you really want a black macbook pro... send it to Colorware

9. Hayduke60 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm good with the silver. I was just checking out the Ipods and thought the black was slick looking. I figured while they were anodizing those parts they could throw a couple lappys into the tub along with. There should be a market for something like that, I would think.

10. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I can't see a MBP getting a black case option from apple, maybe the MB, but then, it would be silver/black, so not that exciting. I miss Bondi Blue:( So much more character... but these are by far the best "pro" notebooks apple has made.
    SG :apple:

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i wouldnt mind a gun metal gray MBP. i think it would look professional as well as "cool".

12. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I don't see Apple giving this option but if they did I might consider buying it.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yes, b/c their not a form of grey already

14. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Back in Black

That's your opinion! I'm an Apple reseller and people loved the black MB. They would pay that much more money just for it.

I honestly thought they would paint the back of the MBP black. It would match the iMacs and I think would look pretty cool.

I thought about painting the lid on my Santa Rosa MBP once the warranty expired but I ended up selling it first.

15. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I would never say never......

Look at how the designs have changed over the years.

-beige plastic -----> color plastic / white plastic -----> white plastic / aluminum

-----> aluminum / black glass -----> black aluminum / black glass?

Just a theory of course.....

BTW If getting your MBP laser engraved doesn't void the warranty, I don't see why painting it would... assuming you made it look like you only did it to the exterior of the machine and didn't make it appear that you dissembled it.

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

really? wow. are you color blind cause im pretty sure aluminum is considered silver not grey. google them both and maybe you will see what i am talking about

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lol, ambiguous statement not backed up with any numbers. :-\

Most people don't have easy access to an anodizer, plus you have to get rid of the surface that's already on the aluminum.

18. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Ah-ah-ah, someone needs to look at their PowerBook history a bit more, mate ;)

PowerBooks/MacBook Pros: Charcoal plastic --> Black plastic --> Titanium --> Aluminum --> Unibody

iBooks/MacBooks: Coloured polycarbonate and rubber --> White polycarbonate --> White/Black polycarbonate --> Unibody

No worries, just me being nitpicky :p

As for a sexy black pro notebook from Apple, look back a good few years.

Attached Files:

19. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

should be carbon-fibre, then it's black and lighter ... ;)

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Mac Portable, which predated the Powerbook, was beige plastic. I only mentioned it since you like nitpicking.

If you need a refresher history lesson, I can suggest some links. :D

21. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

WOW look at the size of that trackpad. I dont know if i could deal with that now

22. Hayduke60 thread starter macrumors regular

Black is kinda drab. If Apple came up with some cool trendy names for some darker cases, like maybe... Flint, or Obsidian, Charcoal or Carbon...Jet, kuro, they could sell them as fast as they made them.

If the silver ever wears off of mine, I might consider redoing mine in a Cajun Blackened finish.

23. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Ew eff Colorware. I heard an idea on another thread about a matte black uMBP and I like that idea. If I wasn't going to get mine engraved via laser, I'd go the matte black route. I don't think Apple will go the color route, the new laptops are pretty sexy the way they are, I get compliments on mine all the time. I think their design style is decidedly more professional, less college kitsch. I think the new "Get a Mac" ads show that too, the mac is dressed better, more grown up.