A blind happy Ipad user.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steve knight, Jun 28, 2012.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

My wife sold a piece of old braille equipment so she could get a new ipad. She has been having trouble with her shoulder muscles and holding her iPhone and scrolling around is hard.
    So she is tickled green (see it even changed her hair color) with her new toy in her favorite color case.
    I love to be able to get her something like this she enjoys it so much. though it is even more fun when I can surprise her. I did tell her she had to wait a few days till I had the rest of the money but then went and got it for her right away.
    It was even fun getting this I used the GPS feature on the apple app and when I got to the store the genius's were looking for me.
    [​IMG]

2. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

taking some getting used too. Found out if she uses airplay with pandora or iheart radio or music She cant use it from remote till she goes to app switcher and turns off airplay.
    May have to get a keyboard as typing is so slow for her.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a blind buddy who swears by his keyboard...You can get one that is integrated into a case...Probably even get her favourite colour too. Using the built in KB can be tough for us sighted users sometimes too! Glad she's enjoying her iPad!

4. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Awesome story. Put a smile on my face. Thanks.

5. cayleg, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

cayleg macrumors newbie

Extra Keyboard tips

[im using a apple bluetooth keyboard and iPad 3 4g 5.1.1
    (jailbroken with absinth2.0)[/I]
    but jailbreaking is not for everyone even tho i would recomend it as i have been able to add voice controll to the ipad:) i can say mail and it opens the mail app
    or music and it opens and plays music or even lock and unlock
    and this can be done by voice command or remotely using bluetooth keyboard
    -the apple keyboard has hot buttons for screen and vollume controll as well as
    play music stop skip and more- i love it !
    and the jawbone bluetooth ear peice can recieve all audio on it
    so you get wireless personal audio from ipad!
    -if you jailbreak you can add voice controll and it does not have to be connected to internet even.
    and a tweek called voice actions for ipad that allows custom voice commands.
    i think remote control and voice control help make ipad even better for people
    Theres also a tweek called beekeeyboard that lets you open apps from the keyboard and other stuff too
    - great on a wireless keyboard and ipad
    -voice command needs to be activated by touching the screen or keyboard hot button-.
    iv had all ipads 1 2 and 3 on ipad 2 and 3 i used voice controll a lot.
    P.S. great to hear your story!

Attached Files:

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is one area that is hard to find any faults with Apple. Apple has taken the lead and is doing a commendable job integrating features for people with disabilities. While these features don't apply to the vast majority of us it's great to see people have a previously inaccessible window open up for them.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just for the record.

when you say blind, do you REALLY mean BLIND as most people would understand the term. She can't see ANYTHING.
    Or just that her vision is pretty bad, unless, perhaps things are held really close?

I have a friend who see's fine with strong glasses and drives, though did tell me that officially they are classed as blind due to their poor natural eyesight.

9. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I smiled, tell your wife i said hello! (L) That's the FML app, that one is fun :)

10. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

it was why we went to macs. for the cost of Jaws (windows screen reader) at about 1200.00 and 200 every two years for updates she can have a mac mini twice. Voiceover does causes crashes and problems as did jaws. but the way that the products integrate really makes it easy. we battled to get audio from her computer to her stereo and apple made that far easier. when they first came out with airplay though it streamed voiceover too and that made it useless. but now she can stream anything she wants.

----------

legally she is blind and for the most part she is. She needs a cane to get around. she can see colors and a small spot well enough to read. but she needs braille or voice to use a computer.
    But she can't use sight to navigate

----------

Yes it i s a blast. Now if I can find her more games that work with voiceover. Godville and a couple others is about all.