A boba tea version of Starbucks - would you go there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Imagine a Starbucks, but they don't just sell coffee, their specialty is the boba tea (or bubble tea, or tapioca tea) with all kinds of favors - from coffee and tea to smoothies and shakes.

Served in a Starbucks-like atmosphere, with small snacks and paper cups.

Would you go there? Frequent there?

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Yes. I have only had boba tea maybe twice at The Tea Smith but would probably get it more often if they had more locations like Starbucks does. And they do need a little better atmosphere also........

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Aren't there a lot of these shops? Go to the right areas, and you'll see plenty of them. They're not fancy like a Starbucks, but judging from what I've seen, I don't think the idea of a chain of these 'bubble tea' shops would take off. I've been to a fancy one before in Toronto, and it was full, but it was also far nicer than a Starbucks, and it was a hangout for people at night, where proper food was served.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Imagine a place where they sold bacon in a Starbucks-like setting...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

mmmmm, bacon! [​IMG]
    ummmm, what was this thread about?

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

OH MAN. I just....

*goes and makes a plate of bacon*

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've seen smaller chains of these pop up around here. some last, some don't. some downsize. it all depends on area, but what starbucks lucked out on is being able to bring something that was readily in the mind-set of people to a more 'convenient' place. its a lot of marketing really, sure its possible, but not easy and takes a lot of capital, work, and luck in the end.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

is boba still around??? It seemed to crest right after cigar stores and seemed to be a vanishing fade several years ago

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

We've got such places out here in California:

http://www.tapiocaexpress.com/

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

I know they are popular a while ago in asia (taiwan, singapore etc) but have they ever caught on in America or Europe?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's a chain in Australia called Easy Way. Funny thing is that they have almost all their branches in Sydney. There are dozens of them in Sydney, some in the same shopping mall, but they never bothered expanding outside the Sydney CBD. I wonder why? :confused:

Anyway, the safest thing to do would be to open a really trendy place with dark lighting that serves cheap finger-foods to go with the tea. If you've ever been to Japan, think "izakaya", but one that serves tea. Oh, and open it in an area with lots of Taiwanese and Chinese people. :)

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'd definitely go to a place like this!

Same deal in Melbourne...the main chain is Bubble Cup and they're everywhere in the CBD and in a few of the bigger malls/shopping centers but that's about it.

I've really been missing tea since I moved to Canberra...there aren't any stores at all that sell it. If I had money I'd seriously consider opening one.

13. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

There is a chain of Bubble Tea stands here, I think they may just be called Bubble Tea actually. They sell tea's and smoothies... and they are actually really succcessful here, the stand is always busy and I think that if it was made into an actual place, with food and more menu items, it would sell really well. I would be interested in going to a place like that.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is indeed many Boba Tea places here. I frequent one that is not just Boba but it's many other tea-related items called Tea Station. They have amazing chai tea with boba.

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I love that stuff, so I would be interested in frequent it. But, unlike coffee, wouldn't be a daily thing.

Oh, and I hate Starsucks, so that atmosphere wouldn't do it for me ;)

16. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Love tea, but not a big fan of bubble tea. Actually I detest it. Strike one.

Ditto. Strike two.

/drool

... sorry, what were we talking about?

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

18. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Ditto. I love their honey milk tea, minus the boba (blah). Something about chewing on balls.

19. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I must be a deprived child. I've never heard of Tapioca milk tea. Sounds weird. I like Tapioca pudding (takes so stinkin' long to make it though) and heard of it used in other edible food items but not as a beverage. Sta-range.

Must try someday.

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Took me a little while to get used to the balls. They don't bother me now.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Tons and tons. And quite a few chain stores, too. TapEx as previously mentioned, Tea Station, Fantasia (my place of choice), Q-Cup, the list goes on and on.

That really all depends. Some of the chains are fancier than others. :) Tea Station is pretty nice. Similar to Western coffee shops, if you choose "for here" you'll be served in actual glass/ceramic/ whatever cups, mugs, glassware instead of plastic or whatnot.

Some chains grow, some die out.

Great. Thanks a lot. Now I'm seriously craving some.

Oh yeah, and sometimes it's known as Pearl Milk Tea. :D Lotsa names.

24. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i remember enjoying boba years ago, then it kinda faded. there are/were only three places in town. i don't think it has spread out of cosmopolitan areas/california too much.

boba is just not a "classic" american drink like coffee. you're gonna have a hard time convincing some americans that they want balls in their mouths