a bootable dvd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Feb 21, 2012.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

How do i create a bootable dvd from my original leopard disc? Original is lost somewhere but luckily i still have a dmg created out of it!

2. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

thanx but i cant remember if the dmg file was produced properly, does it matter in the whole process? i mean if it wasn't produced with the option DVD/CD master

3. simsaladimbamba

As I always used the CD/DVD master option, I don't know. Can't you test it?

And if you have an Intel Mac, you can use a USB flash memory thumb drive with the cloned contents of the DMG to install Mac OS X from it.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

How can i test it?
    And is there a way to test it (if it will auto-boot) but without burning it to a dvd?

5. simsaladimbamba

You have to burn it and then see, if it appears in System Preferences > Startup Disk or during boot when holding down the OPTION key.
    And do you have an Intel Mac and a USB flash memory thumb drive with 8 GB capacity?

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I have both intel and ppc but no 8GB usb drive, bummer :D
    But really are you certain that there isn't a way to test without burning to dvd?

7. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, no, as a DMG file is only an image and can't be booted without the OS booted, thus the need to burn it.
    I guess, you only have one DVD?

Ahh, do you have an external or internal HDD, which can be partitioned and uses GUID (for Intel) or APM (for PPC) as partition map scheme? Thus you could clone the DMG contents to that partition and boot from that.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

yes exactly right, just one DL dvd
    as for the other thing with the drive, there is a 30gb one that i can partition but its usb and the G4 powerbook doesn't have usb2 ports, therefore i cannot use it to work there to boot, guess ill use that one DLdvd i have and God help me :D
    Anyhow, thank you SO much you've been great help!

9. simsaladimbamba

Ah, you have a TiBook or early Aluminium PowerBook. Even if it would have had USB 2.0, it wouldn't work, as PPC Macs can't boot from USB, unless you clone the actual OS via CarbonCopyCloner onto a USB HDD.

10. zoran, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

aha i gotcha! and its a bummer, its not booting! :mad: what shall i do, only have the dmg and 3 burned, not working DLdvds... any ideas?