A breaking-in period for the TBMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Jan 17, 2017.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I have had my TBMBP for approximately 2 months now and I am certain that the machine has improved with regular use in the following areas:

1. Keyboard - When I first got my machine I was almost alarmed at the high pitched sound of the keys and the space bar felt less snappy but now they sound deeper (more in line with the 2015 model) and there is uniformity of action across all the keys. I would say this transformation took some 3 weeks of moderate/heavy typing and I can confirm that it is not merely my typing technique that has changed as even if I go heavy on the keys they do not sound/feel as they used to.

2. Screen hinge - the hinge made a tapping sound and wobbled slightly if I was typing away rapidly. This totally vanished after 2-3 weeks. I wonder if the hinge was just screwed in too tight.

3. TP - it creaked slightly when starting up from cold. This stopped after a week or so of use. I note that my 2015 MBP had this issue when I first got it.

4. Ports - the ports felt overly stiff when connecting/disconnecting. Now they feel effortless without feeling loose. This took about a month of normal daily of connection the charger, my SSD and other peripherals.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I consider that it is worth allowing your machine a decent break-in period for as long as your exchange period will allow before making decisions as to whether you want to keep it (hardware failures notwithstanding). People seem to be on a merry go round of swaps looking for the right machine when they may have had it all along.

WWHG.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

I thought Apple only gave you 14 days to return the device.

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Thanks - edited. I was thinking about the holiday exchange period.

4. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

What about screen uniformity, noticed any differences?

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

My screen had a slight pink hue on the left side and a blue one on the right. I was going to say that this has reduced but I cannot tell if this is simply because I am now used to it or whether I just stopped obsessing and had imagined it in the first place. Can screens fix themselves over time?

6. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I think this is a valid topic to discuss and I hope others who have owned it at length will chime in.

I think the main problem here is the short 2 wk return period (which won't be changed) however if Apple could have come out with a statement that the keyboard would become more uniform sounding or the high pitched sounds would have diminished people would have felt more at ease on keeping the laptop past the 2 wk period. I know I most likely would have kept it had Apple said the 2016 Macbook Pro needed a "break in period".

For me, I couldn't take that chance on a $2700.00 purchase that my keyboard would become normal sounding across all keys. I personally think there is an issue with the keyboard that Apple has not addressed but I also believe some are getting working fine machines while others are exhibiting strange key sounds.

It would be great to get more data from others on this topic that 2 months made a change in issues they once had at the beginning but now the issues are gone.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I have not experienced any of this with my 2016 MacBook Pro since I got it in mid-November. The keyboard has been consistent, the hinge is smooth, the trackpad is accurate, and everything hardware-wise seems well made. I can't speak to the ports as I only use them for charging (only ever connect my iPhone to download photos).

Some alarming hardware issues I have encountered however include a clicking noise that happens every so often when I am using the computer. It sounds like it comes from within the computer, and is comparable to plastic separating from a surface that it was attached to with adhesive.

8. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Is the clicking near the SSD?

9. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Behind the screen?

I had a few issues with keys which were fine after a week or so. Never had issues with screen/hinge. As I've said in a few threads, these are just completely fresh out of the factory with exceptionally small tolerances so after a few weeks use they seem to 'wear in' as you say.

Battery life also seems a lot better, probably software updates but I now get the stated time which is nice.

10. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I was going to comment on the battery issues but I don't have much input here as I have had no such issues myself and the recent update seems to have improved matters a lot for others. I would not describe OS updates as 'breaking in' in any event. The impact of a few full charging cycles is a different story however...

11. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from exactly. Usually it sounds like it comes from underneath the palmists, but a few other times from the edges of the keyboard.

12. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Can you video this? I wonder if it's a coil whine type sound or a creaking from the body of the machine...