A bug with Cover Flow on 3G Nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iNeko, Sep 11, 2007.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

I just received my (product)RED nano and I love it, it fits in my wallet! However, I've noticed a major flaw with Cover Flow, compilations.

I'm one of those who's OCD over meta-tagging songs in my iTunes library - to the point of lyrics - so it was a bit of a shock to see 20 or so album covers that are the same album in Cover Flow on my new nano.

I have the "Album Artist" field set to "Various Artists" which is what the Cover Flow on iTunes shows, one album cover and "Various Artists" underneath - which is what I'd like to see on my new nano.

Is there any way to fix this without setting the "Artist" field to "Various Artists"? Because I really don't want to do that...

Edit: I've just looked over it again, and what it seems to be doing is duplicating the entire album, under each artist name...

2. OneSeventeen macrumors newbie

Just another confirmation that this is a widespread bug.

I got my wife the product red nano and she has 36 albums on it already (8 of which are compilations). The "Albums" view correctly shows 36 albums, but Cover Flow shows over 130 album covers.

That makes it pretty useless unfortunately.

Fortunately, it comes with an awesome shuffle mode, so she doesn't have to worry about it, and the "Albums" view is simple and effective. Just another example of form over function, this time more likely by oversight than design. (still like Apple, but this is just proof that they are human like the rest of us)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, they've sorted the Cover Flow by artist but when you flip the album over it shows the whole album listing on the back.

Simple software update to sort out a few things will fix it.

Other issues:

- Enhanced podcasts don't show the image attached to a chapter.
    - Album art and poster frames (for videos) disappear intermittently.

Still, this is a bloody amazing bit of kit, hopefully the cover flow thing will be sorted out quick smart.

4. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Rest assured you are not the only one with this issue.

My 8GB silver nano has the same problem. I have tried EVERYTHING including all the posted suggestions. It's just a flaw in the coding which I'm sure will be fixed via an update soon.

Hang in there!

5. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I've fallen in love with this nano, Album list view is great with the album art and I can wait for a fix for Cover Flow - it's nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed it though.

It's such an amazing little device and the screen is so sharp :)

6. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this problem is not isolated to the iPod Nano..

I mean, iTunes does the same exact thing.

Yesterday I imported a 3 CD album of "World Music from the World Cup" and although the album was the same for each track, the artist was different as it was artists from around the world. Anyway, all of the tracks showed up as individual albums in cover flow, so in the end I had to change the proper Artist attribute to say "World Cup VA" to get the things to display properly.

In fact, any mixed album/compilation I've tried to import gives me problems, and to get cover flow looking corect I have to **** up the tags, which sucks.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, in iTunes that problem can be dealt with by setting the "Album Artist" field to the same thing for all of the tracks, but leaving the regular "Artist" field set to the actual artist's names. That appears to not be working in Cover Flow on the iPods, though.

jW

8. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Incredible!

Thanks for the tip :) - looks like i"m going to have to go back and fix my ID3 tags now :