A Bunch of Strange Files Under My HD . . .

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickD, May 19, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I opened up my HD today and noticed all these strange files (.css). Does anyone know what they are, and why they are there?

[​IMG]

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

.css files are Cascading Style Sheet files. And the names of the files certainly imply they're web-related (classid, accessibility, etc).

Why you have so many in your root directory, however, is a mystery to me. Have you installed anything recently?

Edit: I notice you have link to /etc and /var.....do you have Show Hidden files on?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You've also clearly done something to modify system behavior -- normally, unix directories like /var are not visible in Finder.

4. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I don't think so, but where would I turn it off, assuming that it is on?

Some people on the forum here advised me to use chown to recover some files that I lost permission to, so I did that recently, but how it created or revealed all these files is beyond me.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

6. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're doing too many hacks to your computer... be careful if you don't understand this stuff. Be very careful with chown... don't even mess with all this changing icons and showing hidden files unless you actually know what you're doing.

Chown would not create .css files. It might have led you to be able to see the hidden unix folders, although it should not have.

I would:

1) Open a terminal and do this (source):

sudo defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder

This will stop the /etc /var and so on from displaying.

2) Open Disk Utility and repair permissions. This will undo any damage you did with chown.

3) The .css files are sort of like template files for the web. They shouldn't need to be there. They might have ended up there because you installed a web development or other application to an unusual place (like I noticed you have FCE in the root of the hard drive for some reason?). You can just delete the .css files. If they show back up at a later time, watch what application you're running. That application is probably installed in the wrong place or has the wrong preferences and is putting them there.

Then make sure everything works normally. If possible, go back to just installing applications in the applications folder instead of weird places. The permissions and ownership of the root folder are not appropriate to storing apps.

8. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Those look like the css sheets that Opera uses for styles.

9. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Well, I repaired permissions, and deleted the .css files. Unfortunately, the Terminal code line didn't do anything.