Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Steve was right, the quality of the phone is like a Leica camera. It is glass and metal and just like a Leica camera, it will most likely break when you drop it due to the density. Everything is packed tightly. Build quality does not always equal durability. If this phone was to be super durable, it should have been made of rubber and plexi glass but then it would not be a pretty. Another problem is the glass on the back is very low friction. I sat mine on top of my wallet and it slowly kept sliding off. I read one guy scratched his back because it slid around on his dash board. With the bumper case it is very difficult to move and it raises the glass of the table to minimize scratches. It also makes it easier to grip and it keeps you from bridging the antenna.

If this where a Leica camera you don't need a case because the way you use it you will most likely not drop it. This is a cell phone. You are pulling it out of your pocket or purse all day long. You rush to grab a call when it rings.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Id like to know how you use the dock with a case.

If there was a solution for that, I would consider a case. Since it's not possible, naked it is.

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
naked ftw. Leather holster to keep it snug, away from stuff in pocket. That's it.... I'm thinking about the Griffin Elan Holster :D

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I just ordered the wrapsol film for my phone. I love the look of the phone and hope the film that covers the sides of the phone will help with the reception as well. If it's still an issue down the road, then I'll have to consider a case then.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Steve was right, the quality of the phone is like a Leica camera. It is glass and metal and just like a Leica camera, it will most likely break when you drop it due to the density. Everything is packed tightly. Build quality does not always equal durability. If this phone was to be super durable, it should have been made of rubber and plexi glass but then it would not be a pretty. Another problem is the glass on the back is very low friction. I sat mine on top of my wallet and it slowly kept sliding off. I read one guy scratched his back because it slid around on his dash board. With the bumper case it is very difficult to move and it raises the glass of the table to minimize scratches. It also makes it easier to grip and it keeps you from bridging the antenna.

If this where a Leica camera you don't need a case because the way you use it you will most likely not drop it. This is a cell phone. You are pulling it out of your pocket or purse all day long. You rush to grab a call when it rings.

Who puts their phone on the dash of their car while driving??????

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
You guys are all nuts to not buy a case for this one. It's built entirely different from the older models and even those would get all scratched up if you didn't protect them. Be prepared to have an ugly iPhone 4 in about a month. You people are the ones that complain about how your iPhone has broke 5 times in a year because you don't protect them.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You guys are all nuts to not buy a case for this one. It's built entirely different from the older models and even those would get all scratched up if you didn't protect them. Be prepared to have an ugly iPhone 4 in about a month. You people are the ones that complain about how your iPhone has broke 5 times in a year because you don't protect them.

It's a phone, it's meant to get used. I refuse to use a case on this one, it's too beautiful to cover it up.

cwubbels

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2008
I have never been a believer in cases. I bought a bumper and have to say not only does it help protect the glass, it adds a little somethin' somethin' to the look. Black on black looks pretty sweet. Apple did a good job on having "actual" buttons on the bumper so its not just rubber covering the buttons of the phone.

All I can say is I was a "naked or gtfo" type of person prior, now I'm like "bumper of gtfo."

It's awesome. Overpriced. But, awesome.

EDIT: forgot something...

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Screen and back shields are the most i'll do.

Screen is to much, but back I'm doing whenever I get my bodyguardz. Just so I can toss it on the table and sit it down without worrying about scratches on the back.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
Those bumpers won't cut it with me. I'll be the first person to admit that I'm kind of clumsy, and I dropped my 3GS at least once a week. Screen protectors and a case saved that poor thing. It still looks brand new.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I've never used a case with my 2 previous iPhones, but the one thing that bugs me about not using one with this is that the camera ends up touching whatever surface you put it on now, whereas on the previous phones the curve kept it off the surface.

I can deal with the back getting a bit scratched up over time, but not the glass right in front of the camera. I have a bumper ordered so we'll see how that works.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
Cannot stand covering up my gadgets with some ridiculous rubber/leather abomination. Naked 100%, have done so with every iphone and I've had them all , and they all looked great when I sold them. Do you guys cover your sofas with a plastic sheet also?

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
i think the iphone 4 is sexy!! but i had planned to get a bumper anyway do bought along with the phone and black on black does look good..almost like it belongs there in the first place.

i may not get anything for back and front but for me, bumper stays

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.