A case should be OPTIONAL, not required! Not to mention safe!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jessica Lares, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think Apple were stupid to put GLASS on the front and back of the iPhone 4. They could have put the same material that was the original screen's and stick it as the back instead. It would have made for a better phone.

There is no other phone that I've seen that you HAVE to have a case on it, and I don't mean those 24k gold and silver made stuff that no one has.

What happens when this thing shatters and bits of it fall all over the place? What happens when someone tries to pick it up and they get their fingers cut or something similar?

Forgetting about the reception issue, this is the big issue that needs to be talked about. The iPhone 4 really does look good, but is it REALLY going to last us for the two required years? Did Apple even consider this being that this phone is marketed to be rotated like crazy while playing games on it?

I hope that at one point Apple considers selling us backplates that are the same thickness, but different material to what the iPhone 4 has. It'd help for better gripping and have them not have to have so many Genius Bar appointments just because of accidental damage.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

But a case is optional and many don't use one with their ip4's:rolleyes:

In the 2 years I have had an iphone, I have never dropped it so yes, it can be done

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Lol! This reminds me of when the light saber app came out and there were reports of people launching their iPhones across the room while battling imaginary Sith.

4. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Damn! Guess that means I better re-think my horseshoes app idea.

Mike

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Can't say that I agree with the OP's thesis. If you are overly concerned about breaking glass, than the iPhone is not the phone for you. Nor are many smartphones out there, for most of them have one side that is all glass, the front, and not many cases will be covering that.

I wish I could say in the 3 years I've had an iPhone that I've never broken the screen. I did once. But I've dropped them plenty of times at plenty of different heights.

Maybe I'm just really tired, but I'm not sure what this statement even means:

6. dzaam macrumors newbie

OMG **** dude. The iPhone is great. If it wasn't, you would not have bought it. Go by a Droid if you don't like it. For some reason, people like the phone just the way it is. There is a reason for this. Because it is awesome. I had the 3G 3GS and the IP4. All of them were in immaculate condition when I sold them for the upgrade. They have always had glass in them. It just has it on the back now. Why in the hell would you not put a case on a $400 investment? Just plain stupid. If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Only stupid people would barehandedly grab broken glass.

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Or really, really macho people.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

OP, were you not aware before you purchased the phone that both sides were made of glass? I'm fairly certain that fact was well publicized prior to the launch. If you feel that strongly about it, maybe you should exchange it for something you can handle. Doesn't sound like it's the phone for you.

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If it wasn't made of glass it wouldn't feel so crispy in your hands.

11. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had the original 2G, that was fine. I broke the screen at the very end, dropped it loads on it's back with no problem. I dropped it in the toilet (clean thankfully) and it was history. I'd like my iPhone 4 to not have the same fate, but be as durable.

I don't keep my iPhone 4 in my pocket, I even tell my parents not to when they hold it for me for a minute. I'm afraid the glass will break with very little movement, so I keep it in my purse in a little section that fits TIGHTLY around the thing and zip it up in there.

What I'm saying is that while this phone feels great and all, it's TOO fragile to the point we're all worrying about it breaking. I can see why a computer would be made like this because it just sits on a desk all day or is in a bag, but not on a handheld device that is picked up and dragged about all day.

The apps mentioned above were okay on the original iPhones, but I'd never try the same with this model. You could literally make someone go blind if it came apart and glass hit them in the eye.

12. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

If I'm spending over $300 on a phone that has to last me two years then you better believe I'm throwing a case (Otterbox Defender in my case :D) on that sucker.

And I'm pretty sure no one is forcing you to use a case LITTLE ALONE buy an iPhone. Heck with as worried as you seem to be you would be better buying a cheap dumbphone that isn't going to break or shatter on you. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I have a Nokia 5110 lying around that I'll sell to you if you want a durable phone.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Get another phone and you have nothing to worry about!!

14. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Exactly. She's just blaming others for the fact that she's a klutz who refuses to take pre-cautionary measures to protect her investments from her own ineptitude.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

She knew both sides would be glass but still chose to buy the phone and now complains.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

iPhone glass shattering? You can apply the same argument to beer bottles vs cans...

17. fs454 macrumors 65816

Are you insane? this is an obvious troll topic, move along.

In other news, I dropped my bare iPhone 4 onto a concrete pool patio from 3+ feet up today without my eye falling out. Really though, it was impressive and I'm glad it didn't break. The impact point was right on the corner of the glass, too.

18. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Okay fine, fine. Thanks for assuring me that the thing won't go flying everywhere if I drop it. That's all I was really worried about.

I had a case on it, but my screen started to get REALLY hot, so I ditched it because it kept freaking me out. I don't know how exactly it works in electronics, but I thought giving it some room to breathe would be better for it. At least, I know that putting a laptop on a table is a lot better than having it on a bed. I'm pretty sure that's why Ape came up with the bumpers, aswell as better gripping. I probably have mine in my mailbox, or it's on the way, so I'll see whether that works better for me, otherwise I'm still tucking it away.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have an Ip4, I don't have a case.

What are you trying to say OP?

Do you have butter fingers?:eek:

20. calb macrumors 6502

Wait... you're suggesting that the new iPhone is actually more dangerous because it has a glass back, even though most of the high-end smartphones use a glass face anyway? So is the iPhone 4 twice as dangerous as every other phone?

This isn't a fragile sheet of ice we're talking about. I'm far from being delicate with my iPhone and it's still immaculate. Don't worry so much! ^_^

21. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Many people have dropped their iP4's already, and the glass didn't go flying everywhere. If this is your worry, and you don't want to use a case, just get a screen saver for the front, as well as the back and your problem will be solved.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Man stuff a case! I'm buying a shotgun!

That Zombie iP4 ain't never gonna eat ma brains!!:eek:

23. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

LOL!

My bumper just arrived today, gonna do that custom backplate template someone posted awhile back. Will help a little, use a bit of thick cardboard or something with a nice design.

And yes, I have nerve damage in my hands, the iPhone 4 hasn't slipped yet, but it has nearly.

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i don't treat my 4 any diff than i did my 3gs. no pockets, no dropping and no sitting on hard surfaces. ps front and back and black bumper! I baby all my electronics!

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I like the iPhone 4 design personally.

But I do have to question the whole glass casing thing. Aesthetics aside (and I know that its dangerous dismissing aesthetics when discussing Apple products) I fail to see the engineering 'advantages' of having a glass casing versus a polymer-something casing, at least for the back side.

I don't recall the rationale behind the glass....anyone care to remind me what magical properties the glass conveys to the user experience?