Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I have a 500GB external drive I use for Time Machine and backups. But since my main computer is a Macbook, I travel heavily with it, and would like to take my external with me.

I'm looking for a padded case of sorts to travel with. When I google it, all I get is enclosures.

Anybody seen what I'm looking for?

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
i bought a pelican case. those are really good at protecting gear and they are relatively inexpensive as well. you can get them at fry's.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know what sort of toughness rating you're looking for, but we use Hardigg cases to transport delicate items, ruggedised hardware and small arms among other items.

Our backup contractor also uses them for transporting tapes. The IM2050 would hold a 2.5" / compact 3.5" HDD securely.

Those look just like the Pelican Cases?

If you like alu look, Zero Halliburton has some nice cases.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I'd say they're similar. It's just that I don't have any first-hand experience of Pelican cases worth telling, but I know the Hardigg cases work.

Zero don't do any really small cases bar a camera and make-up case I think. Besides, I would imagine by the way our Halliburtons back in the 90's used to come back looking that the Hardigg / Pelican cases will do a better job. Not only are they more dent-prone despite the cold-rolled aluminium, they aren't as water / foreign-material resistant either. They're kind of like the Apple of protective cases - ultimately not that good, but looks great. The Zeros are especially bad after some wear. I don't have a problem with them for regular everyday use where style might be more important, but the advantage with the better-made plastic cases is that not only are they more durable, when they wear a bit you can toss'em.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah the plastic ones are worry free, but can't beat zero for the cool factor. One of my cameras comes in a zero case. They make a pretty cool laptop / attache case.

By the way, some multi compartment laptop cases, such as ones from Targus.com, will hold a laptop, accessories, external 3.5" hd and power supply.

I used to carry around a 3.5" HD, but two years ago I got firewire bus powered Lacie Little Big Disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.