a cautionary tale/call for help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nojustrad, Mar 24, 2008.

1. nojustrad macrumors newbie

This may turn a few stomachs so please refrain from reading this if you've just eaten, or you have a tipsy turvy stomach.

Last night i went to see a movie (paranoid park, really good by the way) and left my 6 month old macbook pro hidden in my car while me and a friend went inside to see the film. The theater is in a well lit area, in a nice part of southern california, so I had little reservations.

The movie got out around 9:30 pm, and to my horror as I approached my car i noticed two of my windows were smashed in. I quickly surveyed the damaged and found to my dismay that my heavily hid macbook pro, (along with a digital camera and portable hard drive all in a messenger bag) were missing.

Yes I know what you are saying, "what a #@!$, why would you leave such important items in your car? Well, as the point of a laptop is portability, I work from the road a lot, and after the movie I was heading to a job (im a video editor, and as a consequence, many of my projects are now lost), so the need to carry around my equipment is essential.

So, if you've stayed with me thus far, I have one shot in the dark request from this community. Is there anyway to locate my laptop by ip address, or wifi hotspot access, or any other method. I'd love to catch these bastards one way or another. The answer I'm sure is slim to none, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Thank you for reading and please please learn from my mistake and if you're lugging around your mcb, take it with you at all times, or keep it nice and secure in your trunk. I do not wish this feeling of loss on anyone. From one apple enthusiast to another,

-Sean

2. JWest macrumors 6502

any security tapes you could get that might help?

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You could only track it if you previously installed Lojack...If you happen to know the serial number, contact the police and Apple to let them know it's been stolen.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i think it's a shame ... they smashed the windows, i hate when people don't do a proper job :mad:

5. djellison macrumors 68020

The only unique identifier really is the MAC address of the network adaptors ( Wifi, LAN) - do you know those?

Doug

6. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Pretty much, out of luck.

I ended up going out with friends after a day in the field. I had my computer with me. I took it into the movie and placed it between my feet while I watched the film.

Did you have an apple sticker on your car too ?

Unless you installed the laptop lojack or "undercover" software, you are out of luck. You may be able to notify Apple that the serial number has been stolen. If it shows up at an apple store.... They may pick it up. They are quite security aware at the Apple stores.

A difficult lesson to learn but I doubt you will make that mistake again.

BTW, I am from So. California. Where did it happen ? Let me guess: Santa Monica ?

7. Heil68 macrumors member

Sorry for your loss, that sucks. Was your car the only one that got broke into?

8. nojustrad thread starter macrumors newbie

no, actually near south coast plaza in costa mesa. nice area.

No i did not have an apple sticker on my car

9. nojustrad thread starter macrumors newbie

yup. full parking lot and mine was the only one

10. benc4liberty macrumors newbie

two questions!!!

1-

do you have to login at startup, or end of sleep? or does it automatically login?

and 2-

do you know what craigslist is? if you have to log in, they may try and sell it that way. seems to happen quite a bit. Keep an eye there, and ebay.

11. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

anything in view is bait. even if it's just some coats - they're probably covering something. guess you'll never make the same mistake again.