a chance for Apple to redeem itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, Dec 6, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Well weve all heard Intels announcement that Penryn mobile cpus will be coming on Jan 6th having very likely to implement this new processor to new MacBookPros! Well i hope they do have penryn on those new MBPros but thats merely the point! The real point is if Apple will fix the led issue! This might be the only chance Apple will be able to redeem its self by releasing the new MBPros with fixed/problem free led displays!
    If they dont, there is no way i will ever see them differently, as a company that cares and respects its customers! If they dont fix this issue in the new upcoming MBPros then bye bye Apple on my account!

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

You shouldn't let 'one bad apple spoil the barrel' :D

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I always enjoy the intelligent design of a persons' way of thinking. Apple has released a product that turned out to be bad. My guess is the problem is with less than 10% of the overall product although you only hear of the bad in these cases. Even if the issue were even more widespread then my guess is you're willing to leave something on account of an LED issue? Let's think about that. Does the LED issue somehow trump the fact that OSX is (imo) a superior OS to say Windows? Does the LED issue somehow make your computer run slower? Does it not process as it should? The LED issue is huge by way of saying that a screen with such issue sucks and should be replaced. It is an nuisance at best. However, if you'd like to say bye bye to Apple then do it. I'd be the first one on that cliff to push you because I bet you don't do it.

As far as I'm concerned Apple needs to take care of their business but I'm not sure that they really need to redeem themselves. It's not like one of their tankers just intentionally dumped crude oil in the middle of the ocean or something like that.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Given the track record since the Intel switch, not to mention things before that I'd say a widely known fault-free Mac is not very likely to happen. Apple only gets away with it due it's core users who - it seems to me - seem to care more about the way something looks than how it works.

An incrementally upgraded processor isn't really a totally compelling reason for anyone to buy the machine. It just means you'll be buying what's current if you choose to buy at a certain time. Why do we get these "when's the xxxxx processor coming out" comments all the time? You must be aware by now that once we move on to the processor or chipset you've slavered over for no particularly good reason, it turns out to be no huge deal but just what it is - an incremental upgrade. Just search for the Santa Rosa hysteria for starters.

Apple had a catch-up moment when they released Intel machines because the PPC was never - despite the favourably doctored benchmarks - an Intel-beater. I was quite surprised (but in hindsight perhaps I shouldn't be given the zombie-like state of the vocal enthusiast Apple fan contingent) that there was no 'what have been duped with up til now?' reaction after the comparable single-core performance difference between the Core and PPC's became apparent, when we in the Windows world know it was certainly an improvement from the P4 / Athlons but not a near-revolution as it was on the Apple side.

From here on, since you're on the same Intel roadmap there will only be incremental changes. Are they exciting? Not to me. I'll buy whatever is current - and in the case of Apple hardware, pray it's more or less usable.

5. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

If the next one won't play multiple multiplexed Ogg Vorbis streams, I'm outta here!

It's a product, with imperfections. It's a great product, with few and minor imperfections, but it's still just a product with imperfections. Few of us are willing to wait for or pay for a product without imperfections. From any vendor.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh actually I had not thought of that. The OP is right. I'm leaving Apple if this doesn't happen! Screw you Apple!

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Apple are no worse than any other computer manufacture when it comes to quality. In fact I'd say better than most.

You mostly hear about the bad eggs on these forums but in my experience all the Apple's I've owned have worked with no issues.

8. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

While I agree that on forums you will hear the majority of the bad cases, just as in a doctors waiting room you might get the impression that the entire population is dying of runny-noses, etc, I think you people are sounding pretty fanboyish and attacking with out warrant. "i'll be the first to push you off the cliff" ???

If someone needs a laptop for work, and does real, professional color-based work, ie printing or color correction, and Apple continues to sell their only pro laptops with known screen consistency issues (even if not ALL are affected) - then it seems pretty legitimate that someone would have to write off Apple as a source for their work machines.

You don't have to gang up on them because of it. Having to play russian roulette with a company to make sure you get a usable pro machine is not something busy professionals can always take time to deal with.

Apple knows of the issue, but it seems they won't change parts until they've exhausted their stock-pile of pre-purchased Samsung yellow screens.

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanx buddy you are the only one so far that understands me on this! I do depend on the work i can do with a laptop, im a pro and i do need it for my on the road color editing work so its vital for me that the screen is as perfect as it can get for 2500$ or more! Thats why i demand no flaws or Russian roulette from Apple on this matter and frankly so far they seem inadequate for solving this issue!
    Very very disappointing, just let them make sure they dont do the same on the new MBPros!

Mercy Apple, mercy!

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If Apple does not release Windows Explorer for OS X by MWSF '08 I will sell all my Apple related stuff..

11. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

If something comes with a defect you have every right to return it or ask for an exchange. I understand people wanting a "perfect" product for the money they spend on an Apple computer but the fact of the matter is, there will always be defects with every single electronics product out there, no matter what it is. It is simply not realistic to except a flaw-free device. You should expect a quality device, but not perfect, and if it comes with defects then return it or ask for to be fixed!

I think Apple has a pretty good track record when it comes to quality compared with the other giant computer makers, so this "Apple need to redeem itself" is off mark. You think people who spend 50K on a new BMW don't get any issues with their cars? Go to any car board and see people complaining about their BMWs and you'd think this was the worst car maker in the world. People on boards complain, you don't see posts about how great their mac is working today.

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Buying a MBPro with a faulty led display is like buying a 50K BMW whose wheels do not go in a straight lign therefore you can never be sure of the outcome of your ride! Thats the same with a faulty led display when u do color editing on a MBPro, you are not certain if what you see is yellow tinted or not!
    Again Mercy Apple, mercy...
    JUST FIX THOSE DAMN LED DISPLAYS, FINALLY, ITS BEEN OVER 5 MONTHS NOW!!!! MERCY

13. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I refuse to buy an apple product until they make their computers edible (like apples)

14. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

Add me to your list. I've just ordered a return and refund on a MBP (first time switcher) for the same reason amongst others.

I'm very happy for Apple users and supporters to continue their enthusiasm, but something is very wrong if someone that was on the brink of switching for life has just been stiffed because Apple continue to sell rubbish, shoddy monitors and aim them at professionals.

I hope this has burnt them financially because I'm now likely to get a cheapo Windows PC before Christmas instead.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You're half right. Apple quality is no worse than the low-end offerings of most of the big manufacturers.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Got to agree with this. If Apple put half as much money into QC as they do into marketing, the MBP, MB, iMac, and MacPro problems would have been fixed ages ago. But then again, QC has always come behind the bling bling. Just look at the screen issues on the Powerbooks, or the logic boards on the iBooks.

17. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

so...you think they will magically start using problem free panels with the new machines? if they were going to do that why dont they start right now??? why wait for the new model??? you make no sense...

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's fangirlish here but I digress. The name confuses most anyway. ;)

The truth is that could be how I sound but you'd have to really pay attention to the majority of my other posts where I sit on the side of reason. Personally I love Windows. I'm quite fond of XP and more so of 2k. I simply needed a laptop one day and bought an Apple. It's just how it rolled. Fangirl? Not really. I think someone who makes such a statement just because of an LED issue is silly but it is their opinion and it matters to them...as it should. If you found that to be me ganging up then I apologize for you being over sensitive to the issue at hand. I also do not agree paying 2x the average price for a machine and then have to deal with problems but if you want to leave a product behind then yeah, I'll push you beacuse frankly I don't think the OP is serious. Now let's be mindful and take a step back, I wouldn't actually push him/her off an actual cliff, but you won't find me begging him/her to stay with Apple because frankly it doesn't affect my bottom line so why exhuast myself trying to convince them otherwise? If they want to leave, if they feel wronged by Apple then let them! That doesn't make me a fanboy or even a fangirl, it makes me girl with an opinion stated on a thread where someone is clearly voicing their own opinion. Nothing more. :)

As for Apple. They're doing just well enough to be able to screw the consumer over and not fix the issue with the LED. It seems as though the issue is not as widespread as it is made out to be but it is indeed an issue. perhaps that point was missed above. I find it sad that Apple won't fix this and that you do gamble with your purchase, but again I stand by my opinion that if this is what makes you leave a company behind then you're better off never buying anything because trust me, it happens everywhere.
    :)

And I couldn't agree more, but my area is in QC so I'm a fan of promoting it. :)

19. hbt15 macrumors member

Seriously, do you think the problems you're having with your MBP screen are going to completely be solved by moving to an inferior windows based laptop? Not only will you have the headaches of dealing with Vista and it's multiple headaches and unreliability but chances that your windows laptop screen is coming from the same manufacturer to begin with is quite high. For example, plasma and lcd tv's. There are currently maybe a dozen different brands? Possibly more? Having recently bought a HD tv myself and done a lot of reasarch into panels and problems etc i found 4 manufacturers of panels that are used to supply all the different companies. Do you not think your laptop panel will be in exactly the same boat?

20. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Its the old story, you never hear all the happy people - its always all those who complain which you hear about.

21. jameskohn macrumors 6502

It is absolutely reasonable to expect a flawless device, Apple, BMW, or otherwise. I suspect I am not the only Apple (or BMW) owner on the thread who has had many "flawless" experiences. I have owned 4 Apple computers and several BMW's. At the moment they are all, as you say, "flawless". If and when there is an issue, I get it fixed. I almost ordered a new MBP recently, but decided to wait for the Penryn models. I'll order it as soon as I am able, and I do expect it to be flawless. If it is not, then I'll return it and get one that is. I looked at the ones at the Apple store last night and they were all perfect; great screens, excellent finishes and tolerances, etc.

There seems to be a couple of issues with MBP's, but I'm guessing most of them are just fine. Apple does have a tendency to ignore issues that are well recognized in the forums, at least until they come up with a resolution. Sometimes they never do recognize or resolve an issue ( Mac Pro bluetooth issue still unresolved, unrecognized). Apple is, however, very good about doing "whatever it takes" to make a customer happy. More so even than BMW.

The products are a joy to use, for a number of reasons, and that's why we pay a premium for them. I do hope they resolve the yellow screen issue just as they have taken care of other issues in the recent past (iMac freezing, faulty hard drives). No mass manufacturing process is going to yield 100% perfect output, but this seems to be past the point of "acceptable". As a stockholder and an avid Apple user, I look forward to hearing more accolades than complaints as soon as possible!

I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences. Getting a new Apple should be an out and out blast!

22. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Cause perhaps they have already made a deal of how many led MBPros using Samsung and LG panels they will produce until the end of this year! Its some kind of arrangement!

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Or at the very least, they've got a warehouse full of these bad screens, and the only way they can get rid of them is to keep installing them in new MBPs, despite having full knowledge of their likelihood of failure. When you get down to it, this is the approach they tend to take with these things--keep selling the bad stuff until it's gone, and pray they're gone before the class action shows up.

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Let's see...

Share price is pushing $190.

Mac market share is hitting all time highs.

They are making the phone that everybody wants.

Their music players defined a nascent market and they have dominated ever since.

They make the fastest Windows laptop on the planet.

So why does Apple have to redeem itself?

Good god, production problems are just part of the electronics industry. They're working on the flaws, and if you have a defective Apple product, just return it and they'll be happy to give you a new one.

25. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso