Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

charliebrown.jpg

Childhood classic A Charlie Brown Christmas has made its way to the iPad as an interactive book that Mashable describes as "spectacular" and "like magic".

The app turns the 1965 television special into an interactive children's book, giving kids (and nostalgic adults) the chance to "play Schroeder's piano, finger paint with the gang, go carolling with the Peanuts choir, and participate in the Spectacular Super-Colossal Neighborhood Christmas Lights and Display Contest".

A Charlie Brown Christmas was built by Loud Crow Interactive, an app development firm in Vancouver that specializes in turning book content into interactive digital apps.

This isn't Loud Crow's first experience turning a classic children's tale into an iPad app. Last year, the company created interactive interpretations of Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit and The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin, and William Wallace Denslow's The Night Before Christmas.

A Charlie Brown Christmas is a universal app, designed for both iPhone and iPad, and is $6.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" Comes to the iPad

gschumsky

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Diego (Jamul), Ca
With all the animation that they could've used for this, I wish it was more like the Morris Lessmore app, or even the older Living Books CD-ROM's. Nevertheless, it's cool to see classics like this brought to the iPad and iPhone.

There's $7.00 bucks I wasn't planning on spending.

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Can anybody comment on the performance of page turns and other interactive elements? It seemed to me from the promo video that page turns were very stuttery and irritating, which would be a huge let-down on an otherwise great idea.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Has it been properly sanitized for political correctness? I'm always stunned to see that this is still allowed to be broadcast on TV.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I really loved "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" more than the Christmas special, so I'm hoping for an associated app next October! I'm in my late 30s now and really like nostalgic things.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
this is fantastic!... also glad to see it is in all the stores - this should be universal - A Charlie Brown Christmas for everyone :)

tbob32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

eyhk said:
Can anybody comment on the performance of page turns and other interactive elements? It seemed to me from the promo video that page turns were very stuttery and irritating, which would be a huge let-down on an otherwise great idea.

Pages turn well on iPhone 4S. I'll test on iPad 1 later. It treats the characters and scenery similar to a pop up book, pretty cool.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA

Page transitions are flawless on an iPad 2 and I imagine on an iPad 1 (the Peter Rabbit app is a dream on the original iPad and iPad 2) -- the video does make stuff look jerky, but I think that's more a function of speeding up the video rather than anything else.

I wrote the Mashable review (after falling in love with the app last night) and it's seriously on my short-list for Best iPad app of 2011.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Honestly ....

I don't think our kids would really get into this one. It seems like some of the classic kids' entertainment of my youth is already considered "uncool" by the 8-9 year olds of today. (They think the new Muppet Show movie coming out is going to be "stupid" and don't see anything funny about the 3 Stooges either.)

I remember as a kid pretending Charlie Brown was my imaginary friend and really getting into all of the Peanuts cartoon TV shows, so I sure wish I had this app and an iPad back then!

At least our kids really like the Pixar movies... most of the other modern cartoon content they like seems so sub-standard to me. (Especially those horrible Barbie cartoons my daughter *loves*, which are nothing but poor CGI rip-offs of other famous stories that came before them. I swear one of them was nothing but a really BAD Barbie-ized retelling of part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that was one of their better moments!)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
From the description, it doesn't appear that full length video is included. True?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.