A Chat Box?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by fireshot91, Mar 8, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I did search in the Site and Forum Feedback section- I found one thread from beginning of 08.

So, I know its possible from VBulletin-
    But, why don't we have a chat box, make it so that only users with x amount of posts can talk in there.
    And make it a just casual talk. If you want answers, post threads and stuff.

Or have a "Friday Chatterbox" thread, but sticky it and make it all week long.

Anything?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It would be busy as hell.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wonder if this would get rid of some of the pointless, off-topic chatter that often goes on in threads. Might be a worthy experiment for a limited time to see if it is worth it.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

We have an IRC channel. Could fulfill your needs. I think the address is "irc.krono.net" and the room is "#macrumors".

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, but does anybody ever go on there?
    It would be busy, but you could make it a certain post count only to be able to access it.

7. macJC50640 macrumors regular

That would be awesome, to have a chatroom. But please dont make it a certain post count (notice my rank, lol):p. If some noob comes over and spams the chatroom by saying "poop" like 50 times, then we can just kick him. I'd like to talk to some of the people who post here a lot.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Forums aren't really designed for idle chatter, and that's why they don't have IM-style services built into the site.

Specifically, these forums aren't meant to be used for mindless chatter. If you have something particular to discuss, create a thread.

If you want to talk with specific forum members, email/PM them.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

I miss Friday Chatterbox. More on topic, I don't really see a chat room functioning too well. If you set the post count too well, it will be a mess. If it's too high, I don't think that many will care.