Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I still don't understand why so many people seem to have an issue with the remote. I think the touchpad is brilliant, particularly for navigating within a movie or long lists. I'd never want to go back to click-button navigation. The only thing I'm sometimes missing is a mute button.

Reactions: Edd70 and -Gonzo-
Comment

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
It would actually be a miracle if available in the US.

I am also among those who dislike the remote. Press and hold a button for it to go to sleep? Give me a break.

Reactions: Wackery
Comment

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah, the Apple Remote is a never ending experience as to how it's going to work. AND the level of "Intoxication" does play a major role in its operation. I have mine dialed way back. I feel it's not a "Pilot Error" situation, but a "How Apple Designed It and What Influence the Settings have on how it Operates in conjunction with 'The Human Condition'!" That's where the "sobriety" factor really comes into play. Apple doesn't always design things to work well with human beings. Just to make their eyes think they are pretty or "Cooul!!" and that they HAVE TO HAVE THEM!!! You don't get into the "how it works for you" part until your wallet is empty and you swipe a fraction of an inch and the cursor shoots through a wall.

Comment

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I don't understand why people have issues with the Apple TV remote. It's most beautiful design with minimum confusing buttons. If you find the trackpad not to your liking, often by adjusting it to either fast or slow will make you happier.

I for one i'm truly disgusted by that plastic TV remote offering from Salt. I's bloody gross and looks just like any other plastic remote that's hit the mass market for the last 50 years.

Some people are never happy. I hope to God that these are the people that Apple do not listen to!

• Haha
Reactions: jbachandouris
Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Some functions can be a little wonky (but I find this is the fault in specific apps, and the inconsistent UI implementations), some are excellent (I love the touch pad for scrubbing forward/back in videos). One thing that helps __tremendously__ is a case - we're using these inexpensive rubberized cases, makes it much grippier, provides "touch only" orientation, and it prevents it from slipping into cushions!

One thing I'd LOVE to see for the iOS remote app: instead of basically emulating the remote, make it more like a secondary display, where some of the UI from the ATV is shown on the device, I mean, it does show the current content playing, time, etc., but I'm talking about just choosing apps directly, and scrolling on the device, have the touch responsiveness of an app.

Comment

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I still don't understand why so many people seem to have an issue with the remote. I think the touchpad is brilliant, particularly for navigating within a movie or long lists. I'd never want to go back to click-button navigation. The only thing I'm sometimes missing is a mute button.

The remote works great, the physical design looks great on the table, but in it's normal use environment (on the couch in the dark) it's hard to make sure it's facing the right way. Due to the fact that it's mostly symmetrical, even down to the lightning port & IR window.

it's like it was only tested by someone sitting at a desk in their office.
I'm glad they at least fixed the "feature" that it had when it first came out where anytime you touched the trackpad it would scroll through the video you're playing, (you didn't have to be paused like you are now). It was fun, pick the remote up, barely brush the touch surface, oh look, you're now 10 minutes ahead.

when you pick up most remotes, you know you've got it the right way in your hand without looking at it, either through a little notch on the back your finger rests in, or the overall shape of the remote.
with the siri remote, it's pick up and feel around for the buttons, for me, it's usually feeling for the "long" volume button.

They could have fixed this in many ways (all we got a white ring on the newer versions)
- make an "identifying mark" on the back, a bump, a groove, or some sort of asymetrical texture .
- move the buttons off center.
- put a button at the top of the remote
- made one end heavier

Comment

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
They could have fixed this in many ways (all we got a white ring on the newer versions)
- make an "identifying mark" on the back, a bump, a groove, or some sort of asymetrical texture .
- move the buttons off center.
- put a button at the top of the remote
- made one end heavier
Apparently they did it by placing the lightning connector on one end :)
I took advantage of it by attaching the wrist-strap called Remote Loop.
Problem solved.

Comment

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Apparently they did it by placing the lightning connector on one end :)
I took advantage of it by attaching the wrist-strap called Remote Loop.
Problem solved.
but you can't feel the lighting connector with the normal way you hold the remote.
and (especially in the dark) it looks exactly the same on both ends, since the IR window is the same shape.

Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
but you can't feel the lighting connector with the normal way you hold the remote.
and (especially in the dark) it looks exactly the same on both ends, since the IR window is the same shape.
I often watch in the dark (since I have a projector). I have put one of those glow-in-the-dark stickers on the lower part of the remote, problem solved. I agree though that this could be improved by Apple (e.g. make the remote aluminum silver again like the old ones, leaving the touchpad black).

Comment

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

He means actually sticking the wrist strap (optional purchase) in the Lightning port.

You all do know that the old ATV3 remote will work with many of the basic ATV4/4K? - FWIW.

Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use the Siri remote everyday and overall its "fine" however its design favors form over function very heavily. This is fine but you need to adjust your usage from human interface guidelines that are used across the industry for the following reasons.....

Its made of glass. TV remotes get dropped, sat on and played with by children. I've been fortune to only break one when it slid off the armrest and hit the hardwood floor. The glass shattered and even though it was useable it would literally cut my thumb.

Its slick. Like mentioned above, it slid off the couches armrest due to its slick metal and glass build materials.

Symmetrical design makes it easy to pick up pointing the wrong way. Even if you immediately notice, basic remote control designs should prevent this.

Buttons are similar in size, shape, and feel. This makes it difficult to orient the remote correctly in your hand and hit the correct buttons. Apple realized this and added a lip to the menu button however this still takes a second.

Because of the above things I use a case on my Siri remote now. A remote shouldn't need a case, there shouldn't even be a market for it, yet I do and the AppleTV remote case market is very large like an iPhones (a device that actually travels with you all day).

Its small and the touch screen is sensitive even on low. My mothers hand shake really badly due to various ailments. The Siri remote is the only remote that is impossible for her to accurately use.

Again I use the Siri remote just fine however its clear there was a form over function design philosophy used from the very start. Even Apple has realized this and fixed concerns in various aspects such as a lip on the menu button.

Reactions: Alch3mist and waw74
Comment

Edd70

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Count me as a fan of the ATV remote. It’s the easiest remote to use ever. If it had a mute button it’d be friggin perfect.

Reactions: satcomer
Comment

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I hate the 4th gen remote with that touchpad.

LOL - I use the little white one that came with my MacBooks and 1st Gen AppleTv.

I gave my 2nd Gen Aluminum AppleTV remote to friends of mine who just got an ATV4, her Husband doesn't like the new remote either. That 2nd Gen one I think is too long for my small hands.

:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.