A Christmas Story Turns 25

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This has definitely become a favorite of mine. I can't believe the film is 25 years old. Makes me feel old. No matter how many times I watch it, I still laugh at the funny scenes. Watch it and don't laugh, I triple dog dare you. :D

[​IMG]

It's even spawned its own version of Monopoly.

[​IMG]

What other xmas movies are your favorites?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The closest I would ever have to a favorite xmas one, is the 1st Die Hard. :rolleyes:

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Christmas Story is definitely a big one. A Charlie Brown Christmas is a tradition around here too.

And for some embarrassing reason, Home Alone is on my list too.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The story itself is far older than the movie. I heard Jean Shepard tell the Red Ryder BB gun story many times on his radio show during the 1960s, and it was published in short story form in his book "In God We Trust All Other Pay Cash," in 1966.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here are mine in order of most favorite [top 10]:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the animated one, and yes I have those little figurines from the movie)
    A Christmas Story (thank you TBS for playing it 100 times in a week)
    Home Alone (it gets me every time)
    Die Hard (seriously, if it's not in your top 5 I worry for your soul)
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (which is mysteriously missing from my DVD collection)
    Miracle on 34th Street (I love the classic but the one with Dylan McDermott is great)
    Elf
    Polar Express
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Santa Clause (Tim Allen)

Just as so. I am a huge sucker for Christmas movies though. And I have A Christmas Story t-shirt that says "you'll shoot your eye out"! It's epic!

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Die Hard is definitely one of my favorite movies, but for whatever reason it doesn't make the Christmas connection for me. Even though there's plenty of Christmas-y things in it.

Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho!

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It's a Wonderful Life is right up there for me. Probably because I've always wanted to call someone a "scurvy little spider."

Scrooged is a fave, too. Watched Elf for the second time the other day. Forgot how good it was.

mt

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Every time I see the word 'FRAGILE', I pronounce it 'FRAGEE-LEE', and think that the contents of the box must be Italian.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Holiday Inn. I even carry it round on my laptop as an AVI :D

EDIT : Oh, and does The Nightmare before Christmas count?

10. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

LOL
    I do the exact same thing.

In the movie
    I liked the part were their waiting in line to see santa. And that weird girl who keeps turning around to look at him. And she keeps telling them how she likes the wizard of Oz.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I hate that movie so much -_-

USA or whatever network it is killed it by playing it 24 hours straight every christmas for the last 4+ years.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah I'm not a very big fan of it either. I thought it was like forty years old, instead of just 25.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love this movie! It is hilarious.:D

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's a cute movie, but I've never understood the fanatical devotion some people have for it. And yes, I've seen it (or been forced to sit through it) -- several times.

I'd much rather see 1970's "Scrooge" or a rerun of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or the cartoon "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I'd even rather see 1974's "Black Christmas" than yet another showing of "A Christmas Story".

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It's a Wonderful Life is not only my favorite Christmas movie, but it's my favorite movie of all time

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I grew up a huge Jean Shepard fan during the '60s, but I did not see this movie until quite recently. I avoided it because I expected it to pale in comparison to the way he told the story himself on the radio so many times, and it did. Anyone who lived in the NYC area during the 30 years he was on the radio knows what I am talking about, hardly anyone who didn't will have any idea. Put it this way, cute wasn't the way he told stories. Every story he told had something at least vaguely dark and sinister going on as a background. Not much of that survived the movie version of this story.

17. peter32892 macrumors member

Thats crazy I love watching this every year with my brother it is a tradition on xmas the tv has this on for 24hrs in my house. :D:eek::D

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I recently saw the exact same style Leg Lamp in an antique shop in Snohomish, WA. It was awesome :D

it's always a tradition to watch A Christmas Story within my family.

19. timerollson macrumors 65816

I cannot stand the 24-hour marathon that TBS (or TNT) has for this movie. At least, have a variety of Christmas programming that day. This movie is not that good.

20. descartes macrumors 6502

how much was it? That would be a great gift for the right person.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm i never actually seen that movie either .. i suspect that comes with not growing up in america

on the other side my personal favorite is Tim Burtons Nightmare Before Christmas

and for Die Hard: i always found that the second one did hold the christmas connection much better (it's all the snow i guess)
    also the Scrooge movie with Bill murray

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That movie can only be appreciated by a warped mind... Definitely my favorite. :D

23. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

My parents house is about 15 min. from the house this was filmed in, which is now a museum. I never could get into the movie and have only ever been able to sit through parts of it. Ive seen the entire thing but never in a single sitting.

I prefer Love Actually or Elf but honestly avoid most christmas movies.

24. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It must really suck when you only have the one channel and can't change it. ;)

mt

25. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Sounds like me and my family.