A clarification about iMessage Sync

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AtomicEdge, Jul 16, 2012.

1. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

I just want to see if I have this straight from the people who have been using iOS 6.

I get the unification of phone numbers and Apple ID, and this makes iMessage viable for the way I use my equipment.

They talk about sync between devices for iMessage on the Apple site, but I wanted clarification. If I send someone an iMessage, it shows up on all my devices and if I receive one it's the same. HOWEVER. I live out in the sticks, and often have phone signal, but no data connection and this confuses the **** out of iMessage, so I send an SMS instead.

Now I know that SMS will only sent to a phone number, but my question is this, will it send from my phone to someone else's phone, then get synced to their other devices, or does the sync exclude SMS and MMS messages?

I hope that makes sense. I really hope it works this way.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

iMessage sync only included iMessages (in blue). SMS/MMS messages (in green) are NOT included.

3. AtomicEdge thread starter macrumors regular

Damn.

I guess I am destined to be stuck with confusing broken conversations on everything but my iPhone then.

Everyone in the local area has iMessage off because they think it's ****. Just not suitable in a rural area.

4. RTWG macrumors regular

RTWG

Well it won't matter then because you can't SMS from the iPad or the iPod Touch.

5. Parallex macrumors newbie

I realize I'm a minute late to the convo -- but the new Mighty Kitty OS that even accommodates iMessage sync just came out publicly TODAY! I must be in the developers cave.

The question I was hunting for when I wound up here was similar to the AtomicEdge entity's (though I have to admit I'm a tad confused why one would routinely SMS across multiple devices). I'm coming more from an IM perspective. Granted, I've been playing with the sync all day and annoying the frak out of all my friends, but I guess I was hoping that it would somehow integrate the new IM portion of the service as well. Is this something that maybe is coming up with iOS 6?

Texting is texting to me; it's not really a conversation platform as IM is. I routinely communicate via IM while on the computer...which then often continues via the phone while I step away to stuff my face etc. -- and then furthermore via the iPad while I lie down in a coma on the couch. This is done seamlessly through Trillian's IM client.

I guess I was hoping Apple would bring the same concept to their much prettier and much refined iMessage app. -- and not just port the SMS function.

Cheers.