A clean reinstallation OS X Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomwalsh77, Feb 22, 2013.

1. tomwalsh77 macrumors regular

tomwalsh77

Can anyone tell me how to do a clean reinstallation of Mountain Lion on a late 2012 iMac with a fusion drive? I'm new to mac and I've installed a lot of crap ware and I'd like to start again with a fresh install but I was worried that by having a fusion drive that the procedure for reinstallation might be different. :confused:

Thanks. :)

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Maybe wait for OSX 10.8.3 to come out, before you reinstall everything:)

3. tomwalsh77 thread starter macrumors regular

tomwalsh77

When is it out?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

There is nothing special about a Fusion drive once it's been created. Just erase the volume and re-install from the Recovery Partition.

However: installing "crapware" is still not really a reason for reinstalling the OS. Most apps can just be deleted from the /Applications folder. If anything used an installer to place stuff all over the place, then there is usually an uninstaller option in the package.

Apart from that, removing any files from the LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, StartupItems subfolders of the /Library and ~/Library folders should stop anything insidious. Also check the LoginItems pane in System Prefs > Users.

I recommend the utility Pacifist, which can browse inside Installer packages, and show you what it installs where. You can then delete the relevant files.

You can also restore your system from a Time Machine backup made before you added the crapware. (Though you will have to manually add any files created or modified after that date.)

Otherwise, if you reinstall the OS but restore your complete user account, including prefs, settings, and anything that the crapware left in your user Library, then you still haven't necessarily solved the problem.

5. peejack macrumors 6502a

$million dollar question.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will be the same with a Fusion drive.

Just command-r boot to recovery. Start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD. Quit Disk Util. Click install OS and wait for it to finish.

It will take some time as the 4.7GB OS gets downloaded from Apple's servers.

7. tomwalsh77 thread starter macrumors regular

tomwalsh77