A college student comparing the 13" MBP and 15" MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MB98XJ, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

For those of you who have the 15" Macbook Pro, how does it feel carrying it around everywhere?

I like the screen size of the 15" but I love the portability of the 13"

I'm debating on both of the 2.53 GHz models. I'm leaning towards the 15" because it seems like it would be nicer to have the added screen size. I'm a big dude 6'4".

Those with the 13", do you feel cramped with the small screen size (I'm not buying an external monitor)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd get the 15". Given your size the weight should not be an issue.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

The 15inch is not too big to carry around at all. The screen size is nice and (watch everyone will argue with me lol) I would feel a little tight on a MBP 13inch (just me though). Being tall means that wouldn't look stupid carrying around a 15inch (not that you would even if you were short, but you definitely won't). Go 15...I did :apple:

4. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

Get the 15". I'm 6'3", 225 pounds and the 15" is perfect for me. It's not heavy and isn't too big at all, especially if it's gonna be in a back pack or some sort of bag when it's being transported. I love mine.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

For what its worth, most guys I see on campus have the 13" Macbook. I would say I see 5 13" for every 1 15".

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Probably price also has a factor in that... 13inch is nice and obviously more portable, but you give up screen size and power... I have a lot of friends with the 13inch so I can't argue with you though.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah very true. I have a 15" MBP and a 13" Macbook Air. I started bringing my Air to classes after I got it because its so much lighter and takes up less space on shared tables which is always nice.

8. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Very good point...the 13inch is probably better for taking notes in class, while the 15inch is better for actually getting work done outside of class... best solution... buy both :p

9. tallguy macrumors regular

I'm 6"5 and the 13 inch MBP that I have is just the right size. When I was in the stores and I saw it next to the 15 inch I though it was a little small but having it here that's not the case at all. Besides you save some money as well.

10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Get the 15". It's worth it for the extra screen real estate. There is not a major difference between the 13" and 15".

The Air is the only thing that will really feel drastically more portable, but right now it has too many issues.

15" all the way:D

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I hope this is the last 13" vs. 15" thread, for goodness sake. Please check other threads. There's one right now with a pole with posters telling why they prefer one over the other.

12. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

But everyone has a slightly different outtake on the matter lol... I agree with you... It will all die down in a month or two

13. tallguy macrumors regular

Just ignore them.

14. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Some people just get upset because it is borderline legal according to the macrumors rules... in some ways they are kinda overlapping a lot and they don't have too much new information to add to the discussion. Conversely, each person does have a slightly different look on this question which makes it sorta ok to post multiple threads.

15. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i have the 13 inch and once you get used to the size of the screen you dont completely forget about it....

i say go for the 13 inch unless you actualy need the extra speed of the 15 inch

16. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

That's what she said!
    Sorry, I had to.

To the OP ... The 15 inch is only 1lb heavier ... Definitely worth it.

17. nutritious macrumors 6502

I've dealt with both the 15" and 13" MBP, and the 13" MBP seemed much more portable to me. It was noticeably different. I'd go with the 13" MBP, and if you need more screen space for home use, buy an external monitor. Because even then, I couldn't deal with a puny 15" monitor with a 1400 * 900 res. I'd buy an external monitor either way. They're both pretty puny compared to desktop standards, so I'd just go with what is more portable.

18. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Obviously, everyone is going to have different opinions about this issue. I've been in your shoes and I will give you my opinion from experience:

When I was a freshman in college the 1st generation Macbook Pro's and MacBooks were released. I picked up a 13" white macbook and began my college career. After a few months of taking it to class, using it to study, and for personal computing, I just found myself envying the extra screen size of the Macbook Pro. So I sold my Macbook and bought a 15" Macbook Pro. I used that thing for the next 3.5 years of college until I graduated. I was VERY happy with the extra screen size, as well as the portability of it. I did not see a noticeable difference in portability between the 13" and 15".

Now I am 2 years into my career, and this year I learned the same hard lesson. For work I bought the 13" Unibody Macbook, and within a week I had already traded it in for a 15" Unibody Macbook Pro. Now obviously, performance was more of a factor this time around as I really do need the 9600GT graphics card for the Photoshop and Illustrator work that I do. But again, the portability between the two really was not noticeable for me. They both fit into the exact same briefcase.

Obviously the choice is yours, but if you are anything like me, you will constantly think "would I be happier with the 15" screen?"

Just splurge for the one you want. You won't regret it in the long run.

19. nutritious macrumors 6502

I really don't think the 9600GT will really offer too much more in terms of photoshop work. Maybe a slight difference if you're working with 3D models, but nothing really to write home about.

I suggest the OP just handles both at the apple store and figure out which one he'd rather carry around. I'd personally never get anything past 13" if I wanted it to carry around from place to place. In fact, I wish apple would create a 12" laptop.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a 15" MBP because that's the smallest there was a couple of years ago. The screen size seems small to me when I actually use it because I have it in clamshell mode with a 20" display 99.9 percent of the time.

If you're going to use the MBP display VERY OFTEN, I would suggest the 15-inch. If you're going to do like me, save your money with the 13-inch and use the extra to buy a nice display. I have seen a couple of 24" LCD displays at 1920x1200 for about $220.

As far as the weight, the MBP is a very light computer for its size. Mine is no big deal. You can buy either shoulder strap bags (what I use now) or backpack bags to carry it in. Just be careful not to F up your shoulder. I did that to mine from constantly carrying a heavy-as-hell HP laptop to classes about 8 years ago. Yeah, it was before I knew better.

21. a1rflow macrumors member

15" is perfect for me, and I'm a small guy (5' 5"). The extra size is definitely worth it, and it fits perfectly under your arm when you carry it. 15 all the way! Hope you enjoy your new Macbook Pro!

22. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

A person's physical size shouldn't determine which notebook he/she should get. The actual size differences among 13-17" notebooks isn't staggering to the extent that a smaller female, for example, couldn't carry around a 17" MBP.

Your budget and needs should determine your choice. If you really need the smallest notebook that you can buy, with a good but not great GPU, and don't want to spend over $1500, then the 13" is perfect. If you need the extra resolution, the 9600m, have the money, and don't mind a slightly larger notebook, then the 15" or even 17" is for you.

Pretty simple. :apple:

23. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

There is a Polish man with these posters explaining why they prefer one over the other?

But seriously, people on here get too upset when there are posts like this. Nearly every post on here in similar in some way to another. If you want total seperation you might aswell just make one thread for people with problems, one for people who just bought one and one for people who want advice on which one to get.

Everyone is different and has different questions. Remember that.

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The 15" is just as portable as the 13".

Pen and paper are best for taking notes in class.

25. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

F*** that. I have made it through 3 years of college taking notes on my laptop whenever it is allowed (for all professors but a small few). I can type way faster than I can write, its easier to read because there is no such thing as sloppy typing if you are good, but when trying to write fast my handwriting gets very sloppy. Come test time I can print out sections, do a find through my notes to find terms, etc.

Also, I have 1 folder on my computer with all of my notes, class materials, etc for each class. Everything is digitally saved unlike notebooks that get lost.

Paper or digital copies? Give me digital any day.

(And btw, your site failed both validation tests you put at the bottom)