A Commercial Sucessor to Perian for Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garagethrash, Oct 26, 2013.

1. garagethrash macrumors member

Perian was fine(though far from perfect), and open source has a time and a place. But in my opinion Perian showed how bad it can be. Slow updates, abandonment, lack of competition, of the top of my head.

I think a commercial solution to mkv/avi/flv/etc support in Mavericks would have the potential to be much better, more constantly updated, and more supported if large rewrites were needed(albeit with another purchase required probably).

Anyone agree? clearly there's not enough interest to get perian development going again, just look at the google group for it. Anyone have any ideas about which dev in particular this project would be suited for? I was thinking Yazsoft maybe. Could we set up a kickstarter or something?

2. PinkWaters macrumors member

PinkWaters

after itunes became 64bit only, i couldnt run my movies and tv shows from it anymore with perian installed.
    so eventaully I gave up and went ahead an converted all my .mov movies/tv shows library to MP4/M4V.