A comparison between the composite back on my S0 vs. the ceramic back on my S3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I had my series 0 Apple Watch Sport for about 2.5 years, since it's original launch. At the time, the sport models came only with the composite (i.e. plastic) back for the heart rate sensor.

When it came time to buy my series 3 Apple Watch Sport, I opted for the $70 more expensive version with cellular because it was the better quality watch, as it featured a ceramic back and an additional 8 GB of storage space. I have no intention of ever using LTE, but at least I have the option should I change my mind.

Here is a picture comparing the composite back on my S0 to the ceramic back on my S3. You can see how scratched the composite back has become over 2.5 years of use, presumably from the contact between it and the charging puck. Since ceramic is at an 8.5 on Mohs scale of hardness (with diamond at a 10), it is very likely that the ceramic back on my S3 will never see a single scratch.

[​IMG]

To those unaware, the LTE version of the S3 Apple Watch Sport features a ceramic back, 8 GB more of storage, and the option to use LTE, while the GPS only version has a composite back and only 8 GB of storage.

2. wche macrumors newbie

Very helpful visual comparison. Does anyone know if the scratches affect heart rate sensors?

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I noticed the heart rate sensor on my S0 seemed to be very erratic when using it during a workout, however I don't know if that was because of the scratched up sensor, its old age, or my movement, or a combination of the three. I have used my S3 watch for a few workouts thus far but haven't really been paying attention to the heart rate while I work out. But I did notice it seemed to be a lot more consistent than did my S0 - it would read 103 in the middle of a high intensity interval workout when it should have been closer to 170.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Cool comparison. I’d be curious to see how the front of your watch is doing. I’ve heard a lot of complaints that the Ion X scratches too easily. I had my sport for a year with no notable scratching but I’m also super careful with it.

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I went 2.5 years on my S0 Apple Watch Sport without a single scratch, and then I randomly noticed a small scratch on the display that seemed pretty deep. I have no clue what caused it but it was very visible. I'm 2 weeks in to my S3 and not a single scratch. I'm careful with my stuff though and am very conscious of the watch on my wrist.

6. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

This was really helpful.

I noticed a hairline scratch on my new Series 3, and am super careful with my gadgets. It's something which I am sure most people couldn't even notice, but I could (under bright light, at a certain angle). You get the idea...

But thinking this may develop later down the line, I decided to go for the LTE version, purely for the ceramic back, but also added bonuses of double the storage and an option for LTE down the line.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Also feel that the ceramic back looks much higher-end. I know no one else can see it when it is on your wrist, but still...

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm the same way and the first scratch always kills but at least it's out of the way now :p. I opted for the LTE version for the same reason - the higher end ceramic back and the extra storage space. I have no desire to use LTE but at least the option is there should I change my mind.

8. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

Here’s a pic of the back of my Seamaster (sold recently because I knew I’d never wear it after getting the AW). Could anyone see it? No, but there’s something to be said for knowing and appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into your watch, regardless if anyone else does.
    [​IMG]