A "complaint" about GTA: Chinatown Wars

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spaceballl, May 5, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So I just beat the game last night - it was a blast. However, a complaint... it wasn't very hard. I don't think I ever had to play a mission twice to beat it. GTA IV had some really challenging missions. Other than that, it was quite an entertaining game - glad I played it through! Now that I played what I believe to be the "last great DS game," off to eBay my DS goes :).

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Have you played the new Dragons Quest, The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Final Fantasy Revenant Wings, Castlevainia Portrait of Ruin? There are so many great DS games out there to play, in my opinion I wouldn't really include GTA in the "great" section since there are so many other games like the ones listed above that are FAR more enjoyable to play.

GTA IV isn't hard either. The hardest part on the console version was being able to see anything. The draw distance was horrible, the textures were dark and muddy, and in general it was trash graphically. The PC version of GTA IV was far superior in every way, I was actually able to play and enjoy it on the PC.

Before you jump and blame my TV, I have one of the best flat panels on the market http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665746306
    :p;)

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Your list assumes I like RPGs / action RPGS, with the exception of Portrait of Ruin, which is action. I beat Portrait of Ruin and the World Ends with You. Also I'm not saying there aren't other great DS games out there- I loved Advance Wars, Mario and Luigi, Ninja Gaiden, etc etc - I'm just not at all excited by the DSi / upcoming DS games - no need to flame!
    I won't disagree that the graphics could have been better. And yeah it wasn't terribly hard - there were a couple missions that took me more than a single try to beat though, which I can't say for Chinatown Wars.

Anywho, to each his own!

But the reason I give Chinatown Wars credit as being one of the GREAT games for the Nintendo DS is because I realized as I was playing it... i felt like I was playing a console game. The game was filled with great content - a great story, fun graphics, and it was pure GTA :). Great gameplay too - I just wish it were a bit more difficult!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You sell a system when theres nothing good on it? Jesus I'm a poor grad student and I've got a tonne of systems that I keep for future play! :p

But I kind of agree, there are only a couple of DS games coming out that I'm after. And theres no solid evidence these games even exist! F-Zero DS and Pokemon Gold/Silver remake. I still play all my old DS games, they're not clothes and they don't get out of fashion. Still got so many games to beat.

5. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Yes I enjoyed this game tremendously too (except the dialogue which I thought was a bit weak). I played it last night for the first time since I finished the main story a few weeks ago. There's still loads to do, so I'm going to keep hold of my copy. I really want to find the two Lion statues, but don't know if I have the patience. Doing so unlocks some new missions apparently.

E3 is in a few weeks, why not wait until after that to sell the DS? Maybe there'll be some new stuff shown?

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes - I sell all my old electronics before they get too old in order to raise money to feed my addiction to buy new electronics :D. Works out pretty well!
    Yeah - I agree - and maybe it was just a side effect of it being a text based dialogue rather than spoken, but I felt the characters blended together... Hsin, Huang, Yu Jian, it all blends together. Plus, the main point of "finding the sword" got lost after a few missions and then they just brought it back in the end.
    Meh - DSi doesn't interest me - I know graphics aren't everything, but I was really hoping those new screens would be a higher resolution and there would be more new graphics technology. Plus, iPhone games keep getting better and better. I'll either stick with the iPhone or if this rumored new PSP is great, I'll get that. My Wii sits idle in my living room next to my PS3, and I'm thinking the DSi would find the same fate.