A complete battery discharge...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpetticrew, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

A once a month complete discharge/recharge was never a big deal with my iPhone or my iPhone 3GS, but I've yet to even come close to 0% charge with my iPhone 4. Looks like I'm gonna have to work to get the battery to die, which after all, isn't a bad problem to have.

2. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

lithium ion batteries will NOT go to 0%..

it's a safety feature, if you were somehow able to completely fully discharge a lithium ion battery the chemical would flake and if you charged it again it would pose a risk of exploding or leaking and burning you..

there is absolutely no need to wait for your phone to die before you charge it again

3. jpetticrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I understand that, what I'm talking about is the complete discharge and recharge once a month that Apple recommends. I'm only saying that the battery in iPhone 4 lasts so long that I don't get to a full discharge (iPhone truns itself off) before.

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

if you use 50% one day and 50% the next you basically did a complete cycle.
    You dont have to run it all the way down.

5. IrishTiger macrumors regular

I was having kind of crappy battery life on the IP4 until I did this. I just let movies play on it continuously, and it finally shut itself off. I went to bed, plugged it in, and viola!!! My battery is calibrated.

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

:confused: I have never done that with my 3G that I have for 2 years. The battery always stay strong during the day.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple recommended that in the past. Now in the future (relative terms), lithium ion technology is much better than before. You don't need to anymore. It's useless and fake. Like superstition.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Per Apple's iPhone support page...

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

10. AppleFan922 macrumors member

i wasn't too impressed with the iphone 4 battery when i first got it, but then i ran to battery down until it turned itself off, and it is amazing now, no complaints whatsoever....