Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Do accountancy, OP.

If you've never showed any interest in computers, IT or programming up to this point then I have my doubts that you will ever be a gifted programmer.

Programming takes time to master, and you have to have some drive in order to do it. You have to get your 10000 hours in. The best programmers teach themselves during their teens.

words of wisdom

Also I pay my accountant (B.S. degree + enrolled agent) about $150.00 dollars per hour during tax time and she is worth every penny!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
When you say IT degree, what degree are you referring too since IT incorporates Computer Science to Managing Information Systems? What do you plan to do with this degree? If you want to be a tech, then you need certifications and not a bachelor's degree.

IT doesn't incorporate computer science. They're two different things. IT in terms of an IT degree would refer more to business computing: the use of computers within businesses, repairing, a lot of networking, web dev, and occasionally some programming (at least enough to perform maintenance).

Computer Science is literally just that, computer science. A whole lot of programming. Whilst Computer Engineering would focus more on system architecture, microprocessors and the programming behind it.

Most universities will give you a little bit of everything, networking, programming and engineering, before allowing you to choose your own pathway. I would personally not choose an IT degree, no offence to anyone taking one. But you should always study what you actually want to do, no degree is worthless, even Media Studies or Golf.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....you should have been an IT geek for a long time if you want to make that a living. Otherwise, you are competing with kids that have been programming, configuring and hacking computers for many years.
With accounting, everybody starts more or less from scratch after getting a degree.

very true! and these high school kids!

donnawhite

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Re:A computer related degree or a Accounting degree?

If you’re interested in IT then I strongly advise you to look at computer science degree programs offered by accredited colleges. Yes, it’s an evolving, changing field. However, if it engages and interests you, then keeping up with technological advances and changes will not seem like a burden at all. Computer Science is among the 13 most well paying majors in the country, according to Payscale (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/..._n_909472.html#s316072&title=Computer_Science)

sarahconner

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
Both accounting and computers have good potential in the future job market. You should make up your mind what you really want to do. If you have a knack for numbers and love math, then choose accounting. If you enjoy coding and would like to experiment with upcoming technologies in IT, go for computers. You could also get a degree in the discipline you prefer and a certificate in the other. Now you have the best of both and a resume you can be proud of! As for me, while making a career decision, a search on the Internet led me to Stevens-Henager College. It offers online and on-campus programs in IT, and business degree with a major in accounting. I feel reading up on peer reviews on various college websites would help you make a decision. And visiting a career counselor is certainly a good option. In the end, do what you feel like, is all I would say!

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I read the first two posts by the OP and I just want to say that neither degree is going to give you "hands on" experience in the sense that I think you're referring to. I wouldn't worry about technology changing really either. Programming will be fun if you like the idea of building things and making things work, and solving problems. Accounting I would imagine isn't going to give you the same thing in the sense of building things. Both are solid choices and just fine for online schooling since neither require you to really be there.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Get a degree with a professional designation, be it accountant, engineer, doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.

Problem with programming degrees is the industry really only cares about your current skills and they offer little to fall back on. You can always get an accounting degree with a minor in programming and try programming and then fall back to accounting down the road.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Wow! Thank you for all the advice. I took a personality test and found out my personality does not fit into the Accounting mold. I'm glad I found that out early.

I'm going with Computer Science.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I would have thought this would be an easy decision for most people! Very different fields! If there's some superficial reason for choosing one e.g. "I'd like to do comp-sci but accounting would get me lotsa money!" then go with what you want! otherwise if there's really nothing in it I'd say accounting has more chance of a high paid job while being very limiting, and comp-sci has a lot of scope for both pay range and job type!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I went into CS although some days I wish I had chose accounting :) I love numbers, I don't regret my CS degree.

Although my CS degree didn't have any IT classes per se, I ended up going into IT afterwards. My program had different tracks (Software development, Architecture, Social aspects, AI, Networking, Algorithms, etc) and you had to choose 2 to take further classes in after taking a class in each. I chose AI and networking. For networking, we did a lot of network programing and some network design. For AI, we did a lot of AI programming and studying of algorithms. My first job involved managing a large corporate network.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.