A concrete Macbook battery question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MathijsDelva, Mar 3, 2009.

1. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

Hello,

i have an absolute first gen white MacBook (july 2006). Still love my machine but i've been having troubles with my battery for a long time now. I don't know how it all started, but i guess it's safe to say it happened after leaving my laptop 'charging' for 10 days when i did a journey about a year and half back. This is my current status:

[​IMG]

Now, i want to finally buy a new battery but i don't want the same thing to happen this time. I want to learn about the absolute best way to maintain battery life at its best. I currently have about 12 minutes runtime on the battery and most of the time it doesn't wake up after closing the lid. Also, my battery doesn't charge anymore.

I use my MacBook for everything, it's my main computer so it spends alot of time on my desk. What's the best thing to do in my case? Leave my adapter plugged in constantly? Let it drain over and over again (i did that in the first year and half if i remember correctly)?

Maybe i even got a bad battery from the beginning, but that doesn't matter now because my MacBook is almost 3 years old now.

I hope i can get a final good and reliable answer regarding the best use of my next battery.

Thanks in advance,

Mathijs

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use it as a laptop at least once a week, not plugged in all the time.

Drain completely before charging

Charge completely whenever possible

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's not necessary with modern lithium-ion batteries.

5. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, and after it's charged, should i leave the adapter in? Or plug it out again causing it to drain again?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Leave the adapter plugged in. Aside from calibrating monthly, you should only use the battery when necessary. The #1 killer of batteries is simple use.

7. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

I want to believe you but are there any others who can confirm this technique? I really want the best for my next battery.

So basically what you're saying is:

When i'm working on my MacBook at home, leave it in the adapter constantly (after it's charged, the light will turn green and it will stop charging right?) and now and then carry it around (that's perfect cause i have lessons thursday and friday) and use it like a laptop (ie on battery). Then the question remains: should i charge it as soon as i can or should i let it drain to 0% first?

8. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

+1. I've had my MacBook for nearly six months now; I only have 25 loadcycles on it so that would be 0.05% of its lifetime (by Blue Revolutions's estimate).

[​IMG]

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why don't you read the link I posted earlier? I'm not going to chew your food for you.

10. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You get what you pay for. I'd be skeptical. Bear in mind that eBay comments are left within a few days of receipt, so if the products are faulty or knock-offs, they may get glowing feedback but will deteriorate fast.

12. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, tough choice.. Thanks for the advice anyway

13. myfirstmacbook macrumors newbie

I am really glad I read this thread. I've been unpluging my macbook (got it 3 days ago) everytime the green light came on. now I know not to, thanks