A Confirmation of GPS from Google?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sowlerrmgh, Jun 6, 2008.

1. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

2. cjandnw macrumors 6502

This article actually leads me to believe that TRUE aGPS will NOT be in the iPhone 2. Rather, the current locate me feature will be continually enhanced.

My 2cents

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

That doesn't for sure mean GPS. They could be referring to the current methods of location discovery...

I don't get the feeling that Apple would go through the trouble of developing the current method if they're just gonna make it obselete in less than five months.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

^^ that's what I think. I think alot of people are going to be disappointed on monday, people are expecting too much from Apple. Although the features that people want seem reasonable, Apple probably won't include the majority of them.

5. flavamactop macrumors member

I'm doubting GPS, but really hoping I'm wrong.

6. RasaFrasa macrumors member

That article is telling me that the new iPhone will still be using the location technology currently in use by the first generation iPhone while opening up its use in other applications, either through the 2.0 firmware or applications coming to the store.

That's just how I read it.

Of course, Apple could surprise us all; it's been known to happen.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I think we'll be surprised with delays and lack of software. But then again alot of good is going to come out of this WWDC, can't wait.

8. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I'll be one of the disappointed people on Monday if it does not have GPS. There are a lot of phones inferior to the iPhone that have GPS and turn-by-turn navigation. Leaving that feature out of one of the most advanced phones on the market would be a mistake.

As for the current location feature, it seem to me more like an attempt to overcome the limitation of not having GPS rather than a long term alternative. Having it for only five months is not a waste either. It will allow current iPhone owners to use location based apps with firmware 2.0 rather than being left behind if/when a GPS iPhone is launched.

Oh, and this article doesn't sound to me like a confirmation of GPS; it sounds like they are talking about location based apps that will be available with the App Store, regardless of the method used for determining location.

Just my $.02.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Why do I have this feeling too? :eek::eek::eek:

I don't think it necessarily confirms GPS. Maybe if they said "advanced location technology" that would point more to GPS..?

10. jmadlena Guest

Unless Locate Me was meant to tide people over, and more for iPod touch owners rather than iPhone owners. I don't think a new iPod touch would have GPS, so Locate Me is very valuable to them.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, they developed the same thing on cellular networks as well, which the iPod of course cannot access. If they're just "tiding people over" for five months, all I've gotta say is that massive amount of money is wasted in the process. Especially since there's only one app that uses it...