A conflict between Word Mac and Windows. Urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sirdacdung, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sirdacdung macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm doing thesis and it's gonna be deadline to upload file. However, the 50-page file of Word 2008 Mac is just illustrated 17 pages if it is opened by Word Windows.

Does anybody help me deal with it? Thanks in million.

2. simsaladimbamba

What is the Word version on Windows and in what exact format do you save in Word on Mac OS X?

[​IMG]

3. sirdacdung thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

It's word 2007. I tried to save the file in different format (.docx; .doc) on Mac but no improvement. So weird./.

----------

Another problem is that from the page 28-33, I rotated the page horizontally. When I save it in pdf format, the file is divided into 3 files(1-27, 28-33, 34-50).
    Do you know how to solve?

4. iEric macrumors 6502a

Can you send it in as a PDF?

----------

Or HTML it then copy and paste into windows word

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Could you please explain what you mean by "just illustrated 17 pages"?

6. clifforde, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

clifforde macrumors newbie

I work as a translator from English/German to Swedish, and have had this problem. If you copy and paste images into a Mac Word document, they will not always be visible on opening the document in Windows Word. I think this is due to different graphic storage formats.

If you use Insert : Object : Picture From File from the menu instead, it will work. If you use a newer Word version, use the Insert tab instead. Please check this information.

Please also check that "Show picture placeholders" option in "Word options" is unchecked - more info here.

I made a search in the Microsoft Office help system and found this additional info.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Be care about linking to Microsoft's Office Help System. It is being migrated to Microsoft Live and therefore requires a Live/Hotmail account for access.

As for the OP, if he means that his illustrations were missing when opened on a Windows computer, then this is a problem of long standing. It requires either that he coordinate with the members of his thesis committee or that he use graphics in only those formats that he knows with certainty are supported on his Windows-using committee members' computers. This was an issue that I learned about more than a decade ago when Word:win would not open an embedded TIFF file because it was an "Apple format." Only if QuickTime was installed on Windows would Word open TIFF files.

In my personal experience, there are two graphics formats that one can rest assured will be supported on my colleagues' Windows computers. Those two are JPEG (.jpg) and PDF (.pdf). If the OP's graphics are in some other format, then he needs to convert them to either .jpg or .pdf. Preview can do the conversion. If the graphics are in a format that Preview does not recognize, then GraphicConverter [which every Mac user should have] will do the job. GraphicConverter is shareware but is fully-functional before you pay the shareware fee.

8. clifforde, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

clifforde macrumors newbie

Thank you MisterMe for this detailed explanation, which makes me understand the problem better. When I copied from a pdf document in Preview and then pasted into Word, the system used TIFF, which you mention, as the graphics format. However, when I inserted external TIFF images (presumably created on a Windows system) in my Word document, it worked well.

When I save a TIFF file in GraphicConverter, I really have the option of saving as "Mac" or as "Windows"! And then white in BW images may be stored as "0" or "1". So there seems to be at least four possibilities...

Good to know that JPEG and PDF, in contrast to TIFF, are "safe" formats. Isn't the more recent PNG format one of these also? My Mac uses the lossless PNG format for screenshots, which may simplify the process and add quality, as JPEG is a lossy format.

I hope that you, sirdacdung, now have the tools needed to meet your thesis deadline.