A conflict with my mac mini all afternoon

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jgbr, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Today: i decided to upgrade my Mac Mini from 1GB to 4GB, 10,00rpm hard drive and take the cpu up to 2.33ghz cpu.

All was fine... untill the cpu... i snapped a plastic plug and took me 30mins to clear the cheap thermal paste they use. I had to raid the north bridge heatsink for another plug and replace that with a screw.

Knowing that mini's dont use 4gb ram...i awaited to see if the machine would boot.... it did.... 4gb of ram, 2.3 ghz cpu, new hard drive...magic... cpu temperature lower then stock one... mission complete, but for a moment it nearly all went pair shaped.

If apple looked inside...well... no warranty for me... afterall shes only 6months old!

2. ale500 macrumors regular

So, what is the problem ? you revamped to its max...

btw:
    That can not be true... or you just left it without case o optical drive or got one of those VelociRaptors without heatsink ?

3. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

yep one of the new dinosaur drives! was more of a quality build then the biggest problem was some cheap plastic clips to hold the the heatsink in

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

DAMM, wish I could do that with my Mini. I'd be too scared that I'd break something or that I'd void my warranty. Nice job though! 2.33GHZ, 4GB Ram, and a 10000 RPM HDD?! And some say that the Mini isn't powerful enough...

5. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

30 minutes to clean the thermal paste off? What method did you use to remove the paste? I use rubbing alcohol and it cleans off easily. 5 minutes tops.